Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Zell Miller: Yay or Nay  (Read 769 times)

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Zell Miller: Yay or Nay
« on: August 30, 2004, 02:26:53 PM »
I'm taking over for Jeffjoe.. haha

What does anyone think about 1) Zell Miller supporting Bush, 2) Supporting Bush so strongly that he is willing to speak at the RNC, 3) the RNC actuall using a "Democrat" as their key not speaker?

for me:
1) Yay for supporting someone across parties.  I get sick of pure party-line politics.
2) Nay for speaking at the convention.  While I like that he speaks his mind, I think this may carry it too far and not be in the best interest of his constituents.  They obviously elected a democrat and he may have interesting times getting backing for any bills he proposes (unless the Republicans back him).
3) Yay, I guess if you've got it, use it.
3.8/155

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
Re: Zell Miller: Yay or Nay
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 02:29:11 PM »
Zell, we love him in Georgia even if he drives us crazy. 

Yay.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 02:30:49 PM »
I like Zell.  I read his book, and he's fundamentally right.  The average southern Democrat is far more in line with mainline Republicans than mainline Democrats.  

Southern Democrats are often even more conservative than Republicans elsewhere.  He's probably not going to get in any trouble with his constituents.  Plus, I think he's fed up with Washington and ready to go home... I don't think he was standing for re-election, was he?  He only ran for Senate in the first place because the Democratic party in Georgia asked him to, or so he claims... I mean, he had done everything else in Georgia politics and was ready to retire.

One thing to keep in mind about Zell... he HATES the flavor of DC.  And I can't say as I disagree with him.

ZAP

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 02:35:11 PM »
Yeah, Zell could stay there until Kingdom Come but he hates the place.  I wish more politicians felt this way.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 02:41:04 PM »
Me too.  I look up to Zell after reading his book, and have a ton of respect for him... agree with him on several issues, disagree on a few, but my respect for him goes beyond that.  I just like to see people get into politics because they're connected to the people they represent... and to me, Zell Miller does that as well as any politician I know of.  I too wish there were more like him.

ZAP

Yeah, Zell could stay there until Kingdom Come but he hates the place.  I wish more politicians felt this way.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »
Based on his career (i.e. democrat since the 50's, keynote speaker at the DNC in 1992) I really do not think that is a fair characterization
3.8/155

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 07:34:29 PM »
democrat in name only.

Not really he's just a conservative southern dem.  He's old style politician where a lot of things work on a personal level.  He liked Clinton & Gore, he likes Bush to him that means a lot.  But Zell's no saint be can be arrogant, how many other politicians name roads after themselves while they're still in office. 

lazybum

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 03:42:15 PM »
edit