Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RNC protestors: Yay or Nay  (Read 1728 times)

M2

Re: RNC protestors: Yay or Nay
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 02:32:27 PM »
Yay, I love protests.  Back in the old days it was a good way to meet girls.  Ask me about the 88 DNC. ;)

I was 8 years old.

;D

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 02:35:02 PM »
Yay, I love protests.  Back in the old days it was a good way to meet girls.  Ask me about the 88 DNC. ;)

HAHA.. sorry to make an example of you Buddha.  But that is one of my biggest complaints about protestors.  How much of it actually does any good and how much is just a big party?  I really wish they would get out in their communities and do things to make life better instead of running around with sticks in the air.

Think about yesterday alone.  400,000 people gave up at least a whole day to protest (by the time they got there, got home, etc.)  All they did was run around, get a 15 second clip on the news, and create a lot of trash in the streets.  400,000 days could do a lot to make communities better, educate children, etc. and that is only one day.
3.8/155

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 02:36:33 PM »
It's all a big party.  GOTV actions are far more effective than protests but not as fun.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 02:37:21 PM »
I thought it got plenty of coverage, and everyone I knew was talking about it.  It was all over the news sources online for a good week or so, leading up to, during and after.  Plus, everywhere I went, everywhere there was a TV, it seemed to be on.

I don't think anyone will be fooled by "President moron's BS".  Either you agree with him or you don't... and you vote accordingly.  I don't see how that's tantamount to being fooled.  Especially when earlier today I pointed out a clear example of the Kerry team explicitly and intentionally misrepresenting a situation.  Bush won't fool any more people than Kerry will.

ZAP

Think how LITTLE coverage the dem convention got compared to this.
Tons of protests means more people watching news...and means more people watching the convention...and possibly more people getting fooled by President Moron's BS

Just my line of thought.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 02:39:14 PM »
Unfortunately, people in politics get too caught up in the parties (I don't mean Dem and Rep).  It's all fine times and wining and dining.  Hangers-on and protestors get caught up in the same mess, on a less elevated scale.  It's my biggest complaint about the whole freaking system.

ZAP

It's all a big party.  GOTV actions are far more effective than protests but not as fun.

M2

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 02:40:06 PM »
I thought it got plenty of coverage, and everyone I knew was talking about it.  It was all over the news sources online for a good week or so, leading up to, during and after.  Plus, everywhere I went, everywhere there was a TV, it seemed to be on.

I don't think anyone will be fooled by "President moron's BS".  Either you agree with him or you don't... and you vote accordingly.  I don't see how that's tantamount to being fooled.  Especially when earlier today I pointed out a clear example of the Kerry team explicitly and intentionally misrepresenting a situation.  Bush won't fool any more people than Kerry will.

ZAP

I think that you greatly overstate the average American's ability to see through his good ol country boy charm.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2004, 02:42:28 PM »
There's nothing to see through.  Either you agree with him in principle or you don't.  It's that simple.

Maybe some people will vote for him because they'll think he's "like them".  Maybe they'll be right.  Maybe his values do more closely reflect theirs than Kerry's values do.

ZAP

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2004, 02:43:06 PM »

ZAP

I think that you greatly overstate the average American's ability to see through his good ol country boy charm.

I think you greatly overestimate the ability of yourself to declare right and wrong.  Obviously you do not agree with Bush, but that doesn't mean those who do are somehow fooled.
3.8/155

dr_draino

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2004, 02:49:52 PM »
And we have a winner...only took what, an hour biscuit?  Nice... :)

ZAP

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2004, 03:08:02 PM »
This board is more active than it's been in a week or two. 

I'd like to thank everyone involved for helping this board get back on its feet.

ZAP