Re: Which should I violate?
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »
Harvard 2010

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 08:49:36 AM »
A school has a requirement for "should be no more than two, double spaced typed pages" for their personal statement. Thing is, it's not on the application...you have to find it on the website to know this is what they recommend.

My statement is longer than this double spaced, but single spaced I can get it on two. So, should I violate the two page limit or the double spaced limit? I am not cutting anything from my statement.

Violate the principle of not cutting anything from your personal statement.
Hofstra '10

parsley

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 10:09:38 AM »
If you're violating the page limit... it better be worth it.

If writing isn't your strong suit, don't violate the 2-page limit.

db2ur

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »
A school has a requirement for "should be no more than two, double spaced typed pages" for their personal statement. Thing is, it's not on the application...you have to find it on the website to know this is what they recommend.

My statement is longer than this double spaced, but single spaced I can get it on two. So, should I violate the two page limit or the double spaced limit? I am not cutting anything from my statement.

Violate the principle of not cutting anything from your personal statement.

TITCR.  Cut extraneous words, sentences, paragraphs, pages.  The scope of a personal statement requires only a two-page response.  Extra pages gives room for extra mistakes, annoyance on the adcomm's part & general ill-will towards your app.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 10:28:23 AM »
Try this:  under format, go to font - click character spacing tab - select the condensed under the spacing drop-down, and set "by 0.2 points"  It condenses spacing between the letters, and doesn't look that bad.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

parsley

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »
After margins, fonts, "slightly-less-than-double" double spacing -- be sure to look at your essay.  If it looks like you're trying too hard to fit it on 2-pages, then you are. 

Look for the paragraphs that go slightly on to the next line and strategically cut words.  Do you use pointless phrases like "Being that"?  Are you throwing in too many SAT words?

And... worst case scenario, you have 2 1/3 pages.  That's not that bad.  If they ding you for a strong essay that needed a paragraph on another page to conclude properly, you were a likely ding anyway.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 11:45:39 AM »
Perhaps I'm demonstrating my noob-ignorance, but one of the concepts a lawyer must acknowledge is that ignorance of the law is no excuse. As such, even if you had to work to find the information about the page limit, they have the rule established, so you'd be best off following it. If you absolutely can't cut anything out of your PS, then just hope that you don't wind up with a stickler of an adcom that will only read the first two pages and throw out the rest... if I had 1,000+ ps's to read, I know I'd be tempted to stick pretty firmly by the rules unless it really was that good that my personal interest kept me reading.
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 11:51:43 AM »
Easy.  11x17 paper and any font you like.

GuysInMyHighSchool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »
Actually jeez that saved the day.

So you got in within 2 pages?

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 07:27:14 PM »
Actually jeez that saved the day.

cool little trick, huh?  ;D
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya