« on: November 09, 2006, 06:13:16 PM »
 ::)

Here are some questions I've already been asked:

Is it hard to get in?
Depends on your LSAT and GPA
Here's a more useful article:
http://www.law.uga.edu/news/archives/060815enteringclasspr.html

How much is rent?
Depends on what living arrangement you want, most people spend $250-$500 a month...I'd guess the median is around $350

Are the women hot?
Yes. Very. There are 34,000 students here. It's a great playing field

LawJedi

• I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
Re: UGA LS - ask away...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:32:09 PM »
What are the prospects out of Georgia like? How competitive would you say the school is? How are the facilities?

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »
What are the prospects out of Georgia like? How competitive would you say the school is? How are the facilities?
While NALP would be a better source for explicit data, using the USNWR for a general idea - #4 law school in the SE. There's no better school if you want to practice in Georgia. The next best in Atlanta are GSU and Emory but they don't outplace UGA

Please be more specific about competitive (do you mean students?) and facilities (what exactly are you looking for?)

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 06:03:28 AM »
So, I went to UGA undergrad, and my parents still live in Georgia, even though I haven't been a Georgia resident for a few years (I'm 28).  I read on their website that if your parents are residents, sometimes you can qualify for in-state tuition even if you aren't a resident.  Does anyone know how that works?

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 08:35:42 PM »
What's it like in Athens...like let's say you have a couple free days, what are some activities (day and night) that the area has to offer?

You mention the 34,000 students, well in general (if you can do that) are they of the friendly sort & interactive w/ new people...or do they stay in their own worlds..unwilling to branch out?

Do you get the sense that your classmates are pulling for you...or do you get the sense that they'd secretly (or not so secretly) get a kick out of you doing poorly?

Are the professors approachable for the most part? Do they treat you like adults i.e. not talk down to you?

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 09:51:08 AM »
I'm not a UGA LS student, but I did go there for undergrad and Master's.  I can tell you that you'll never be bored in Athens.  If you are, it's your own fault.  Directly adjacent to the campus, and a 5 minute walk away from the LS is the downtown area.  There you'll find 12 blocks worth of restaurants, shops, and bars.  A short drive away from campus down Broad St. are more restaurants, movie theaters, etc.  The music scene is world-famous in town, so you'll have your pick any night of the week of live bands (punk, indie, cover, country, bluegrass, you name it).  I personally loved hitting up the coffee shops downtown to study.  Hot Corner offers free internet service, fresh roasted coffee, and delicious snickerdoodles!!  The Botanical Gardens are great to stroll through, and are another option for a place to study.  The campus offers plenty of free or significantly discounted options to students, whether it's movies, bands, comedians, lecturers, or trips to Braves games.  If you can't find enough in town to do, Atlanta is only about 1 or 1.5hrs away, with its host of activities.

I found the folks in Athens to be some of the friendliest around.  There are certain social circles, such as the "Greek" crowd and the "music hipster" crowd, but I never really found anyone to be especially snobby or exclusive.  I can't attest to the law students, but everyone else I met in town was great.  If you're willing to branch out, there are kind people to be found!

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 12:27:03 PM »
I am in undergrad here right now and can share a bit.  I know quite a few law students and they seem to work very hard but are also very glad to be here.  As far as Athens is concerned I honestly believe it is the greatest college town in America.  The amount of bars is well known, there are roughly forty in downtown alone, but Athens has much more to offer.  Others have mentioned the famous music scene, it really does live up to the hype.  Also, the mountains of north Georgia are merely an hour away, along with Atlanta.  Lastly, there are the sports, UGA is an outstanding athletic program with the 5th biggest college football stadium in America and a very passionate fan base.  I would recommend UGA to anyone simply because of the eclecticness of Athens.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:31:02 PM »
Frau & Dawg - Thanks for sharing..I've been curious about Athens/UGA..haven't had the time to get out there and see it for myself yet..so it's great to read your accounts of the place.

CDX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »
I just went to Athens this weekend for a competition, and I loved it, so I know the town isn't an issue with me.  How approachable are the professors and administration, and what is their OCS like?  I want to do small-law/clerkship/gov't work, so what are the prospects for that, as far as you know.

Also, I went into the building and saw a few of the rooms -- are the smaller classrooms good quality (not too old, comfortable seats, etc)?

Most importantly, one last thing -- how hard is it for Law students to get football tickets (including 1Ls)?

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 02:01:57 PM »
It's not that hard to get football tickets, if you didn't go here for undergrad you usually get a "split package" which means that you will get tickets to half of the games instead of all of them. All you have to do is order them online and then go pick them up, it's very easy. And the longer you are here, the higher you go in the priority level, and you can get tickets to more of the games. Parking is also really awesome, there's a huge parking deck that's about a 3 min walk to the law school, and it's very reasonably priced. Everyone here is REALLY nice (that has been my experience), there are no psychos or people trying to stab you in the back or play games, everyone is very nice and fun to be around... if you miss a day, there will be like 5 people offering to give you notes... people are nice. It's a nice law school. I love all of my professor's, they're all great, and you can tell that it's important to them that you do well, a few of them go out to lunch with a small group of students once a week (different group of students each week) which is nice, it's a chance to get to know your professor outside of the classroom, and talk about things other than law school. We also find time to go out, and we had a big halloween party which was fun (classes were cancled the day after halloween for a study day). Anyway, Athens is a cool town, the students and professors in the law school are nice, and everyone seems to get along. Hope that is helpful.