Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida Coastal free trip  (Read 693 times)

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Florida Coastal free trip
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »
I just got an email from FCU for a free trip to admitted students weekend.  Anyone have any ideas what this would be like?  My parents live in the area, so I was hoping to get away for a few hours to see them.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Coastal free trip
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
Anyone do one of these for undergrad?  I'm trying to get an idea of the extent to which they tie you to the campus.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »
Got that one too, a trip cross country would be quite exciting. Would it really only cost me the $12 LSDAS report fee????
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:11:37 PM »
I'm with ya, there's got to be some sort of catch.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:15:12 PM »
I don't think I am going to even waste the $12. They would probably make me miss valuable class time anyways (which I wouldn't be able to get out of). Darn them for the enticing getaway.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

mason338

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:23:48 PM »
I have some family about 20 minutes away, and I wouldn't mind sneaking off and visiting a couple other schools although it would be quite the drive from fla coastal to uf or fla st. I also wonder how much they bind you to the campus, anyone have any details?

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »
I did a few admitted students days 2 years ago for law school (2 were at my expense while the other one was paid for by the school).  Most schools make it an all-day (or at least all-afternoon) program.

Usually you'll end up getting a schedule of events.  It'll include an introduction, a couple speeches by anyone ranging from professors, students, and alumni, maybe lunch, perhaps a mock class or a visit to an actual 1L class, they might split you off into concentration areas based on your interests (international law, environmental law, etc.), maybe they'll have a question and answer session with current students, discussions about financial aid, a tour of the campus, etc.  Those are all things I had at my admitted student days.

As for getting away to see your parents, once the program is over, I don't see a problem with it (they might not miss you even if you do leave early).  On my paid visit, I couldn't leave to see the city, because I didn't have transportation, but on my other two visits, I had friends with me so once the program was over, we toured the surrounding area.

Hope that helps a little.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

shakermaker

• Shake allllong with meeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 08:04:54 PM »
I'm with ya, there's got to be some sort of catch.

The catch is that they only reimburse you for $500 on your trip. So if you had no intention on going, you'd be getting $488 (LSDAS Fee) worth of travel money. Unless you are heading down that way anyway, doesnt seem to be worth it.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 08:09:55 PM »
I just got an email from FCU for a free trip to admitted students weekend.  Anyone have any ideas what this would be like?  My parents live in the area, so I was hoping to get away for a few hours to see them.

I'd suggest hanging out with your parents on that Friday night if you can, then doing the admitted students stuff on Saturday.  That's what I did for the admitted students weekend that I went to last year.  Just don't sign any commitment letters drunk.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 02:47:31 PM »
On a surfboard, no less.  Knowing me, because I had no interest in the school I would hit the sauce too hard and end up signing a commitment letter.