Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I put down seat deposit?  (Read 1428 times)

BriansMom

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Should I put down seat deposit?
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:48:46 PM »
I received my acceptance letter from South Texas today for their Spring 2007 PT evening program (starts January 16).  They want a $300 non-refundable seat deposit by 11/27.  That would be fine, but I've also applied to University of Houston Law Center.  Their PT program starts in May, so even though I applied early decision (Nov. 1 deadline - actually mailed in Oct. 2), there is no guarantee I'll hear from them anytime soon.  Law School Numbers seems to indicate that acceptances didn't start coming out until late December last year.  South Texas is a good school as well, but I would love to go to U of H and would kick myself if an acceptance arrives after I am already committed to South Texas.  My file at U of H is listed as "in review", which I think is a good sign (it had said "file received") last week.  Should I just bide my time until Thanksgiving or do you think it's worth calling U of H to ask if they anticipate making any decisions before December.  Do you think it might be worth asking South Texas if I can get an extension on the seat deposit date?  Any advice would be welcome.

jer

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 16596
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put down seat deposit?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:32:55 PM »
it may be worth the $300 investment just to make sure you have a backup plan.

nerfco

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 731
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put down seat deposit?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 11:38:46 PM »
Wait until Nov 26. If you haven't heard from U of H, put your $300 down. If you get accepted to U of H after Nov 26, rejoice, consider the $300 a write-off, and go to your preferred school.

Cube Farmer

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 509
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I put down seat deposit?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:16:47 PM »
I agree with the above advice. If nothing else, you donated $300 to the South Texas College of Law.
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;

wildcataz2004

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 951
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put down seat deposit?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 02:34:32 PM »
Call South Texas about a week before their deadline and ask for an extension- I was in a similar situation a couple years ago and it worked out ok at the end

BriansMom

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put down seat deposit?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 02:40:14 PM »
Call South Texas about a week before their deadline and ask for an extension- I was in a similar situation a couple years ago and it worked out ok at the end

Thanks!  I appreciate everyone's tips.  :)  Seems like I need to go ahead and pony up if I really do want to wait for U of H and not lose out on a chance at South Texas.  I will take the tip and call them about an extension, though.  Thanks for that one!