Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham Question 22, What nerve!  (Read 533 times)

Chaptzem

• View Profile
Fordham Question 22, What nerve!
« on: November 07, 2006, 01:09:14 PM »
Fordham wants a list of every school you applied and will apply to.

Where do they get off asking such a thing?

I plan on being upfront and listing all the schools I have applied to as of now (9) but theoretically I would have to notify Fordham of every school I applied to after submitting the Fordham application as the app required me to update them of any changes.

Can I get away with not updating them? Will it cause me C&F heartburn later on?

I plan on casting a prety wide ne - over 20 schools - and for some reason my gut tells me it would not be wise to let them know.

Whaddya guys think?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Fordham Question 22, What nerve!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:11:07 PM »
List only schools that are comparable to Fordham so they don't see that it may be your reach or your safety. I would not worry about updating them with additional changes to the list of schools you have applied to. If your address changes or you win a big award, by all means, update.
Vanderbilt 2010

Chaptzem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 02:10:44 PM »
So no chance of C&F heartburn later on?

kellykellygg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:57:08 PM »
I see why you wouldn't want them to know you're a safety, but why wouldn't you want a school to know they're your reach?

Nizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »
You honestly think there is any possibility the bar would care about this?  I would bet anything that they won't check and wouldn't care even if they knew.  In my opinion, it is an inappropriate question at that stage of the process.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »
I would bet it is more for statistical research gathering than character & fitness.

Kelly, a school is going to know you are its reach based on your numbers. You can express in your PS that it is your number one choice. My point in listing comparable schools in that survey asking "which other schools are you applying to" is leveling the playing field and letting them know that you are applying to their competitors. I know we're supposed to take everything the "experts" like Ivey, Deloggio and Montauk say with a grain of salt, but Ivey has addressed this in her book and I believe the others have, too.

I really don't think you're going to be denied bar admission b/c you applied to schools outside of those indicated on one law school app where they ask where else you plan to apply.
Vanderbilt 2010