Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Length of Diversity Statement? Who to send to?  (Read 4466 times)

ThemAppLes

• View Profile
    • Email
Length of Diversity Statement? Who to send to?
« on: November 07, 2006, 02:49:52 AM »
It was suggested that I send a DS to all the schools I am applying to. What do you think?

Also, how long should the DS be? Two pages double spaced?

Thanks!

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Length of Diversity Statement? Who to send to?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 12:24:08 PM »
I sent my ds to all the schools that I applied to.  It was just under a page, double spaced.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:00:32 PM »
Me too: all schools. Mine was one page double-spaced as well, so I thought, can't hurt.

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 04:17:53 PM »
My diversity statement was one page double spaced. I sent it to every school I applied to with the exception of maybe two.

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 04:05:50 PM »
Mine was 1 page, I believe double space, and I sent it to all of the schools I applied to. 

parsley

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 04:15:16 PM »
If you have something short and sweet to say, that's fine.  But if writing is your strong suit, you can make it into a full essay (1-2 pages, like the personal statement).

ORWELLIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
I agree with parsley.  If you're a great writer, do it.  Oh and if you have a legit. statement.  I sent a statement to every school.  One school let me know that this was a factor in giving me a scholarship.  Good luck.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:28:11 PM »
My DS is a little under 1 page too.  Is this too little?  I wrote it originally for Columbia b/c it asks for a "brief" statement.  Basically instead of having an intro paragraph I just had a thesis sentence "I would contribute diversity because...".  Then I had a paragraph about my first diverseity trait followed by a paragraph about my second diversity trait and closed with a final sentence "I hope to add my perspective to your law school" type sentence.  Is that too short?  I'm worried that it might hurt me because I didn't have an introduction and conclusion paragraph.  But on the other hand that would take away significantly from the briefness of the statement.  Any thoughts?  Anyone care to share how they formatted their DS?
_______
.|E|R|S.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »
My statement is one page, double spaced.  It's basically a short story focusing on aspects of my upbringing.  I'm also sending it to all my schools. 

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »
My DS is a little under 1 page too.  Is this too little?  I wrote it originally for Columbia b/c it asks for a "brief" statement.  Basically instead of having an intro paragraph I just had a thesis sentence "I would contribute diversity because...".  Then I had a paragraph about my first diverseity trait followed by a paragraph about my second diversity trait and closed with a final sentence "I hope to add my perspective to your law school" type sentence.  Is that too short?  I'm worried that it might hurt me because I didn't have an introduction and conclusion paragraph.  But on the other hand that would take away significantly from the briefness of the statement.  Any thoughts?  Anyone care to share how they formatted their DS?

No, that's good.  Unless it's pulitzer worthy, a ds shouldn't be more than 1 page.  And its a lit less formal than your ps, so it's perfectly fine to have not have an intro or concluding paragraph.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn