Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Length of Diversity Statement? Who to send to?  (Read 4798 times)

Roy Lichtenstein

• Sr. Citizen
  • I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
Re: Length of Diversity Statement? Who to send to?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 03:18:18 PM »
Like most people who have posted in this thread, I submitted a DS to all of my schools, and it was about a page, double-spaced.

Originally I did not submit the DS to all of my schools, but I had second thoughts and decided it would be worth it to send everywhere, so I sent it in to some schools as a supplement.
If at first you don't succeed, apply, apply again!

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »
My DS is going to be about a page and a half.  I honestly can't trim.  It would be a really great PS, but I like my PS, so I wanna keep it.
Michigan 2L

thedropper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 02:38:27 PM »
what about schools that don't specifically ask for a diversity statement?  e.g., unless i'm missing something, UVA doesn't seem to have any prompts that one could respond to with a diversity essay... seems like it's just the P.S. they want, and nothing else. 

does anyone have any insights on this?  i'd like to submit an additional D.S. to every school, but i also don't want to look like i can't follow directions. 

Roy Lichtenstein

• Sr. Citizen
  • I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
what about schools that don't specifically ask for a diversity statement?  e.g., unless i'm missing something, UVA doesn't seem to have any prompts that one could respond to with a diversity essay... seems like it's just the P.S. they want, and nothing else. 

does anyone have any insights on this?  i'd like to submit an additional D.S. to every school, but i also don't want to look like i can't follow directions. 

For all of my schools that had the "diversity question," I submitted my DS initially with my app, PS, resume, etc. via LSDAS; I did not do this for the schools that did not have such a question on the application.  Then, about a week after I submitted my apps for the schools without the diversity question, I e-mailed their respective admissions offices and asked if it would be ok if I submitted my DS as an additional essay.  They all said it was fine and happily accepted it.
If at first you don't succeed, apply, apply again!

thedropper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 04:37:12 PM »

For all of my schools that had the "diversity question," I submitted my DS initially with my app, PS, resume, etc. via LSDAS; I did not do this for the schools that did not have such a question on the application.  Then, about a week after I submitted my apps for the schools without the diversity question, I e-mailed their respective admissions offices and asked if it would be ok if I submitted my DS as an additional essay.  They all said it was fine and happily accepted it.

ahh -- good to know!  thanks very much :)