Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Schools - Regular Admission  (Read 2293 times)

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
Texas Schools - Regular Admission
« on: February 20, 2004, 07:56:50 AM »
Has anyone heard from any Texas schools (regular admission).  I have only heard from one - Texas Wesleyan.

ferris

• View Profile
Re: Texas Schools - Regular Admission
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 08:51:17 AM »
I applied to UT, UofH and South Texas on January 20th.  Aside from getting notices that my UT application is complete and the on-line updates from UH, I haven't heard anything.  We'll see...

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 09:52:31 AM »
Got my acceptance from UT two weeks ago, only a week after they said it was complete.  They seem to be moving pretty fast now after a slow start.  (I sent my apps in mid-December).

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 10:10:28 AM »
Gotten acceptances from Texas Tech and SMU.  Still waiting on the others.  The Houston schools seem to move very slow.  Good luck to everyone!

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 10:49:55 AM »
yeah, in at Tech, both early decisions also answered-- deferred at SMU, out at UH (surprising)

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 01:12:47 PM »
dnw

Did you apply regular admissions, how long was your application complete before you received an acceptance

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 09:41:03 PM »
yeah, in at Tech, both early decisions also answered-- deferred at SMU, out at UH (surprising)

camelbx, what are your stats?  UHLC's 2003 full-time entering class had a median GPA of 3.62 and a median LSAT of 160.  Also, UHLC only admitted 270 of the 3693 full-time applicants.  I just want to know your stats so I know if just fitting the school's profile is enough, or if I need to improve my resume.

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 12:14:58 AM »
You know I have to admit something. When I read your post I was thinking, thats totally off, those numbers aren't close. I went at looked that package i got from UH and damn, you're right.

Med LSAT = 160
Med GPA  = 3.57

This whole time I've been referring to the 2002 cycle info I got from LSAC

75/25 LSAT = 160/154
75/25 UGPA = 3.29/3.74

Under 2002 numbers I compared my index numbers and was above their median by a point so was confident. But with those numbers I am a weak candidate, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Just in case I didn't mention before, my numbers are 164/2.95 UT-Austin grad, double major, WE throughout college.

txlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 10:59:55 PM »
Camelbx, I had the same experience with UH.  This year, it seems that they are again trying to increase their median numbers over the 2003 stats.  I have a 160/3.3 from Texas A&M with 4 years experience in the IT industry and I just received my rejection letter from UH Law. I had my application in at UH by the beginning of October, so it wasn't because I applied too late. It sickens me that I would have pretty much been an "automatic admit" had I applied a few years ago when I graduated college. I am geographically bound to Houston right now because my husband has a great job in Houston, so I am debating just going to South Texas (where I was quickly admitted) or waiting another year, trying to increase my LSAT, and reapplying to UH.  I know South Texas is technically rated as a 4th tier school, but I know of many successful attorneys and judges around Houston that graduated from South Texas.  I don't know what to do.  Spend another year trying to increase my LSAT score significantly (b/c UH takes the avg. of two scores), or quit the bull and start South Texas in the fall? 

ferris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 12:48:56 AM »
txlaw...what about the possibility of going to South Texas and transferring after 1st year?  My 2.6 and 162 gives me LITTLE confidence....even after 10 years work experience...