Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 1L contributing to the board (aka, taking questions)  (Read 741 times)

sno

• Sr. Citizen
  • run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
USD 1L contributing to the board (aka, taking questions)
« on: November 07, 2006, 12:44:24 AM »
So I decided that as a form of procrastination I'll see if any of you USD hopefulls (or just considering USD) have any questions that I can help answer. School's a little busy so I'll probably check in every few days. Argh, off to Civ Pro.
usd class of '09!

harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

keepinitlegal

Re: USD 1L contributing to the board (aka, taking questions)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 02:32:59 AM »
Hey, I've got some questions about USD!

1) It's in San Diego (obviously enough). What's the social scene like? I know that SD is kind of a quieter version of LA, but what does that mean for the law students. Is there access to culture, arts, things like that?
2) Where is USD politically- San Diego in general tends to be pretty conservative- is that reflected in the school and students' attitude? (I'm gay, so that could potentially be a big deciding factor for me.)
3) From what you hear, what are the opportunities for USD grads outside of San Diego (in San Diego, I think I heard that 1/4 of all lawyers went to USD)- but what if I want to live in Norcal or somewhere else (even outside of Cali)? Will that be a problem?
4) Is it necessary to have a car? (San Diego has even less public transportation than LA).
5) What are the strongest and weakest programs USD has to offer?

Thanks in advance!

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 03:31:53 AM »
San Diego is rather conservative, much more than northern california. Gay thing isn't taken too well, except in Hillcrest.

USD grads outside san diego do not do very well. You want to work in nor cal, go to davis,boalt,  hastings, stanford, mcgeorge, USF, or the like. UCLA and USC are also viable options.

We dont really believe in culture and arts in san diego. anyone who says we do would be lying. however, you will find a little of all that in sd, just not much.

You must have a car. Cannot do anything in san diego without a car. plain and simple.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 08:35:33 AM »
1. How much Socratic is used?

2. Are career services at USD as bad as everyone says?

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »
San Diego is rather conservative, much more than northern california. Gay thing isn't taken too well, except in Hillcrest.

USD grads outside san diego do not do very well. You want to work in nor cal, go to davis,boalt,  hastings, stanford, mcgeorge, USF, or the like. UCLA and USC are also viable options.

We dont really believe in culture and arts in san diego. anyone who says we do would be lying. however, you will find a little of all that in sd, just not much.

You must have a car. Cannot do anything in san diego without a car. plain and simple.

I'm totally going to disagree with this post, but it may just because we have different experiences.  From what I understand about USD grade, it is mostly in SD that the placement is great.  Southern California is okay (except you have USC and UCLA 2 hours north, then Boalt and Stanford in NoCal), but it's really about San Diego for USD grads.

As far as culture in San Diego, I think there is a very rich cultural diversity in SD, but if you stay partying at bars in PB, you won't see it.  There is a huge Latino population (and not just Mexican - there are awesome restaurants, coffeehouses from many different cultural groups, including Cuban, Ethiopian, Persian, Filipino, Vietnames - yea Pho!, Chinese, etc.).  If you want to know where you can find these places, just PM me.  I live in a really culturally diverse area a few miles from USD, and I love it.  There are cultural festivals and museums if you want to go to that type of cultural scene.  San Diego Broadway has some decent shows, but nowhere near as good as LA shows.  For ethnic cultural diversity, there is anywhere from Hillcrest to National City, to Mira Mesa, City Heights.  But again, if you just hang out at the beach by the bars, you won't see the cultural diversity of San Diego.

About the "gay thing," I disagree that it isn't taken too well, except in Hillcrest.  True, San Diego is a very conservative city in a liberal state.  However, Pride is the largest civic event of the year in San Diego, with 150,000 people attending each year.  Hillcrest is the bosom of gay culture in the city, but it's not the only place gay people go or are accepted.

I agree about the car.  Public transportation sucks in San Diego.

Just my $.02

New Poster

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 01:09:10 PM »

Please take what this guy has had to say about the "gay thing" and the culture and the arts with a grain of salt. I do not feel that his opinions are at all representative of the community's at large.

sno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
1) Culture? I'm not sure, I'm not a big art/culture person. What I can say is the social scene is QUITE active. Thus far I think there's only been 1 or 2 weekends where I didn't go out somewhere, but we hang out and do something every weekend. Maybe a 20/80 split b/t non-alcohol/alcohol days. But even the non-alcohol stuff ususally involves beer.

I'm in class, I'll come back to answer the rest later.
usd class of '09!

sno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 12:01:01 AM »
2) Politically, I'm not all that aware of how the school leans. It's probably because it's not something we make a big issue of. It can of course also be because I'm oblivious to it. One thing I can say is from the few professors I have, some lean left and the others don't really show their political views in class. As far as being gay goes, I definitely don't think it's an issue (at least not within the school). You can be open about it or you don't have to be. I think if you are, people will react no different from anywhere else. People are from all over the place and A LOT are from CA in general so I definitely don't think it's going to be an issue more than any other school in CA. I also don't think it's an issue within the community, but I a bit new here and, in all honesty, not all that attuned to the gay culture here.

3) Career opportunities outside of SD will be tough. I'm not saying you won't be able to go elsewhere, but it will require you to put in some effort if you're not at the top of the class (hell, even if you are it may not be all that easy to go outside the SD community).

4) I always think it's necessary to have a car. I'm from LA, I always need a car. That said, I can't say you "need" one per se. The public transpo here is not the best, but it's certainly better than LA. IMO, I've never really used the public transpo in LA. I do have friends without cars here and they get along fine. As long as you're not a hermit, you will be able to hitch rides with friends. I've taken people without cars around several times and I'm sure on those days you "need" a ride, you'll be able to find one.

5) Strongest program: tax. Weakest? I really don't know.

Keep in mind that I'm a 1L and have been in SD a whole 3 months so I'm still, more or less, learning about the place. What I can say is I absolutely LOVE USD (and SD in general). In 2 short months, I know I've met several people I will be great friends with the rest of my life. There's plenty to do to keep yourself from going insane and it's certainly not that competitive. I mean, people care and want to be at the top, but I've yet to meet a single person unwilling to help if you ask. Oh, parking does suck though, but it's definitely not an issue if you're willing to wake up early enough for it to not be an issue.
usd class of '09!