Law School Discussion

How Many People Know What Kind of Lawyer They Want To Be?

Steak Pita

• Self 'tar.
    • View Profile
Re: How Many People Know What Kind of Lawyer They Want To Be?
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2007, 10:04:28 PM »
I'd like anything where I can make life a little more painful for all of the parasites on here who want to work for the government. More specifically, I'd like to work in tax law to help people and businesses starve the beast.

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2007, 09:39:58 AM »
ideally I'd hang my own shingle and be a 'country lawyer'.  specialize in wills, trusts, estates and tax/real estate for small companies and individuals.

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »
I'm another aspiring tax lawyer.  I think I'd like to do a few years in Midlaw just to get the experience, but eventually I can see myself doing estate plans out of my home office.  Granted, I don't know if that's when I'm 45 or 65, but someday!

And of course, I'm open to the idea that I take a few intro courses, get a taste of something different, and end up down a completely different career path.  Really though, pending any D's in taxation courses, given my fascination with taxes and estate planning since I was 10 years old, this seems like a good fit for me.

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2007, 09:52:17 AM »
A good one. 

Who treats her assistant and paralegal like the treasures they are, and heaps upon them lavish Christmas and birthday gifts, never forgets their kids' birthdays, and gives them Administrative Professional's Day off. Because she knows what it's like, she's been there, and she couldn't do her job without them. ;)

Cheers,

Para

Every time I read one of your posts, I think to myself:
I really wish I was her friend.

You just seem so nice, sweet, and real.  Very admirable.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2007, 09:57:17 AM »
I'm another aspiring tax lawyer.  I think I'd like to do a few years in Midlaw just to get the experience, but eventually I can see myself doing estate plans out of my home office.  Granted, I don't know if that's when I'm 45 or 65, but someday!

And of course, I'm open to the idea that I take a few intro courses, get a taste of something different, and end up down a completely different career path.  Really though, pending any D's in taxation courses, given my fascination with taxes and estate planning since I was 10 years old, this seems like a good fit for me.

Me three!  It sounds like we have the exact same life plan.  I really like the trust and estates area and know that I can make a lot of money while retaining flexibility/quality of life by setting out on my own.

GwenK

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2007, 11:17:22 AM »
I'm with Natalie on this one, not sure exactly what type of law I want to practice yet. Looking forward to taking the core courses and seeing what rises to the top for me. That said, I would be surprised if I ended up in family, divorce or crim law. I've spent 15 years in business, so that's what I'm most comfortable with and knowledgable about at this point.

I am looking for some flexibility and a life...if that job can exist!

But...we'll see!

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2007, 11:25:44 AM »

i envision a similar path but am seriously considering starting a joint practice with one or more of my financial planner friends after I get some experience in the field.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2007, 07:37:22 PM »
anyone else really considering personal injury?

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2007, 11:05:38 AM »

yeah, i am.  simply because i find torts interesting.  i'm also considering medical malpractice and crim defense.

transactional law makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »

yeah, i am.  simply because i find torts interesting.  i'm also considering medical malpractice and crim defense.

transactional law makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

i might look into the medical one.  no interest in criminal defense at all.

cept maybe h00kers.  thats a stoopid law...