Law School Discussion

How Many People Know What Kind of Lawyer They Want To Be?

Kencade

• Self tar up only for ASW purposes
    • View Profile
Re: How Many People Know What Kind of Lawyer They Want To Be?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 10:29:29 AM »
Corps do seem evil, especially the larger and more profitable ones, but that is because a business usually gets big and rich by being cold, hard, driven money machines.  They have no love for the employee.  Anyone who has taken a business curriculum has taken management and leadership classes that talk about how motivated employees are the most profitable, keeping the employees happy and satisfied makes the business most profitable, etc. but it sure seems to me that big companies lose sight of this...   or maybe just ignore it.  Doesn't necessarily make them evil as its not like they're forsaking their wife or mother.  A business is in business to turn a profit; often this translates to no concern for the employees.

As far as OP's topic, I am not completely sure but bankruptcy law piqued my interest in a course I took in Undergrad.  I have a strong background in telecommunications so I might use that initially although I really want to branch out and away from that.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »
most corps are evil.

yeah...but, in terms of employment law, they still deserve vigorous representation.  There are a lot of people out there who sue companies hoping for "nuisance settlements".  To me, you can still represent corporations and maintain your own integrity.

having worked for a few, id disagree.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »
I'm not nontrad (only been working for a year and a half) but I know that I want to do trusts and estates law.  I'm currently working in the Trust dept at a bank and think its really interesting.  Other alternatives are real estate (I'm an agent), business law, or maybe even tax law.  I did finance and accounting in undergrad, which will definitely be helpful in any of the above fields.

Cube Farmer

• The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 11:02:22 AM »
In the perfect world, I want to go into criminal defense. I would love to defend the Constitutional Rights of scumbags.

In reality though, especially with the amount of loans I am considering, I will probably use my heavy corporate background to go into corporate law. Ideally, after some time, get a cushy in-house counsel job. I will find every loophole possible to bring value to the shareholders.

If I am lucky, I will see an administration that will actually enforce this country's laws and stop the flow of illegal immigration. If that comes to fruition, I would not mind working for the DOJ, making sure the laws are upheld.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »
i want to work in entertainment and media...basically i want to be the guy who makes sure that artist's contracts are right... that they get paid for their copyrights samples movie roles etc and that their artistic integrity is prot....blah blah blah and take my 30% off the top

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 08:18:19 PM »
criminal defense

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 09:21:23 PM »
a rich one.  a ridiculously, fabulously, incredibly rich one

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 11:33:30 PM »
Whatever happened to good old fashioned ambulance chasing?  Err, I mean personal injury lawyers.  I am drawn to the field of medical malpractice like a moth to the flame.....

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 06:08:19 AM »
a rich one.  a ridiculously, fabulously, incredibly rich one

Yeah, I want this also  ;D

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 06:20:30 AM »
i want to work in entertainment and media...basically i want to be the guy who makes sure that artist's contracts are right... that they get paid for their copyrights samples movie roles etc and that their artistic integrity is prot....blah blah blah and take my 30% off the top

meh, i want to pirate all your clients works...