Law School Discussion

How Many People Know What Kind of Lawyer They Want To Be?

Re: How Many People Know What Kind of Lawyer They Want To Be?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 12:22:18 AM »
Immigration law....or entertainment law. I live in LA, enough said.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 05:14:02 AM »
What is the 'conscience quotient' of everyone?
I gather from some of the UG posts that they would sell their own mother just to get in.  This leaves me terrified as to what they will do when they get out!
I have a damnable conscience that won't let me be a di*k to everyone (although there are a special few).
One of my goals as a lawyer is to be able to live with myself.  What about you?  Does the almighty dollar provide a sleep aid for you, or are you people of principle?  No judgement here, as I have already been whore to the almighty buck

ive noticed a few here that seem to be willing to sell their souls for $$$. 

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 06:24:46 AM »
ive noticed a few here that seem to be willing to sell their souls for $$$. 

What's the market rate on a used, slightly damaged, soul?

i think in the bigger markets, about 145k a yr...

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2006, 07:12:46 AM »
I gather from some of the UG posts that they would sell their own mother just to get in.  This leaves me terrified as to what they will do when they get out!
I have a damnable conscience that won't let me be a di*k to everyone (although there are a special few).
One of my goals as a lawyer is to be able to live with myself.  What about you?  Does the almighty dollar provide a sleep aid for you, or are you people of principle?  No judgement here, as I have already been whore to the almighty buck

spent the last 28 years saving the world.  though satisfying, i have no insurance, no retirement, no real property, etc, and only about 20 years of work life left.

therefore, to the highest bidder i go.  i dont have to be a male private part to anyone, and i sure dont mind sitting in the basement of some biglaw firm writing memos for ten years at 150 per year.  i dont care if any of the partners even know my name, as long as the checks clear.

live frugally.  invest wisely.  condo on the beach on maui, and never have to work again.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2006, 07:20:44 AM »

spent the last 28 years saving the world.  though satisfying, i have no insurance, no retirement, no real property, etc, and only about 20 years of work life left.

therefore, to the highest bidder i go.  i dont have to be a male private part to anyone, and i sure dont mind sitting in the basement of some biglaw firm writing memos for ten years at 150 per year.  i dont care if any of the partners even know my name, as long as the checks clear.

live frugally.  invest wisely.  condo on the beach on maui, and never have to work again.

titcr...but i have insurance  :-\

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2006, 07:23:53 AM »

well, i'm a disabled vet so i have va privileges, but nothing for my wife.  no dental either, dammit.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2006, 07:26:49 AM »

well, i'm a disabled vet so i have va privileges, but nothing for my wife.  no dental either, dammit.

sorry to hear that...i get VA too but only 20%

plaintext10

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2006, 07:50:48 AM »

lim (x->infinity) conscience/x , where x= billable hours

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2006, 07:54:58 AM »

sorry to hear that...i get VA too but only 20%

i'm at 30% right now, but another 20% on appeal.  slow, slow, appeal.

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
Thanks for serving, you guys.  I have great respect for your work.

I'm not expecting to make much money working with smaller non-profits but that's okay.  We have some retirement at this point, and my husband's career has excellent prospects, so I'm not too worried about long term.  I feel like THAT is the only part of our finances that is actually under control.

I guess the bottom line is that I want to make more than the cost of my loans, and hopefully have enough to upgrade my car to a year that begins with "20" instead of "19".