Law School Discussion

t3/t4 chances

Re: t3/t4 chances
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 11:00:21 AM »
If you transfer up, how is your class rank, etc. calculated at your new school?  Do you start over, meaning that your 2L grades determine your rank?  Thanks!

B

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 11:19:24 AM »
Yes, you lose your ranking and your GPA. Some schools, mostly lower tiered, will allow you to be eligible for law review if you made the journal at your transferor school.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 11:54:39 AM »
So, is there no way to work your way back up to the to 10-20%?  That was my question - because, what's the point of transferring up if you are delegated to the bottom half of your class no matter what you do.

Am I being clear?

B

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 01:13:32 PM »
So, is there no way to work your way back up to the to 10-20%?  That was my question - because, what's the point of transferring up if you are delegated to the bottom half of your class no matter what you do.

Am I being clear?

B

Ahhh, sorry, I misunderstood your question.

I'm not sure why you say that one would be delegated to the bottom half of the class. Just because you transfer schools doesn't mean you have a GPA of 3.1 or below (which would be bottom half at my current school). You simply start over as if you were a first year, I suppose.

As I said above, the most important process you will go through in LS if you hope to get a BigLaw job is the OCI (on campus interveiw) process. When a tranfer student interviews the fall of their 2nd year with law firms, the tranfer student uses his/her credentials from the first year law school. For example, while I may not have had an established GPA at Notre Dame, I still had a 3.7 and a ranking of 2/163 from my first year at Detroit Mercy. These are the grades that employers saw and these will never change.

Many firms have requirements/recommendations, such as "top 25% required, journal preferred, moot court preferred." This is a common one, and I was allowed to use my first year grades/journal/moot court recognition in spite of the fact that I was interviewing at ND where I technically had no journal experience, no moot court and no GPA.

Employers really liked transfer students this year and all that I can think of got offers. It does kind of suck that I need to do really well this semester to get an established GPA at ND, but it doesn't matter that much as I already have a job offer.

Hope this helps a bit more,
EMSR