Law School Discussion

Directed vs. General PS

Alan Shore

• All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
Directed vs. General PS
« on: November 06, 2006, 11:30:27 AM »
I just glanced through the topics, so feel free to just give me links if this has already been discussed.

All of my LOR are going to be General. I was wondering if everybody here would recommend making directed PS, or just on PS to all law schools.

I am applying to ~8 schools, and there are two areas I'm interested in: public interest and cyberlaw (i.e. intellectual property, etc.). I don't want to have the admission boards think I'm dishonest because I sent a directed letter to OSU (for example) about their intellectual property program, and Regent (for example) about a career in public interest law.

Thanks!

Vick

• View Profile
Re: Directed vs. General PS
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 11:44:02 AM »
It depends.  Do you have significant career experience with IP Law or Public Interest Law?  If not, your reasons for wanting to study a certain field might sound transparent.  A quick glance at your resume might tell the reader that you have no idea what it's like to practice law in these areas.

If you have experience, then yes, a directed PS might be good.  If you're straight out of undergrad, then write a more general PS. 

The fact that your LORs are general shouldn't influence this decision at all. 

polaremu

Re: Directed vs. General PS
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:40:47 PM »
I'm of the opinion that targeted PS statements are very helpful to the admissions commmitties. They want to know when they let you in that you will fit in at the school. If you want to practice IP law at OSU, say it. If you want to go to another school because they public interest law program is good then say it. I think that schools want to know why you are interested in their school and that you will be in it for the long haul. In addition to talking about the individual programs that you are interested in you could talk about other parts of the school that appeal to you (location, clinics, etc.).