Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.78/178  (Read 2980 times)

monkeyboi

3.78/178
« on: February 19, 2004, 07:24:50 PM »
I know most people are going to think I'm insane for even asking this but I am curious as to what you guys think my chances are for getting into a top 5 school. I know what LSDAS says but I would really like to go to Harvard/Yale and I by no means have a guaranteed shot at either school. FYI the 2003 medians for both schools are Yale 3.8-3.97 169/175 and Harvard 3.76/3.95 169/174. I know I am competitive and I am trying to finish off the year strong so that I will have a better GPA next year when I apply. Let me know what you guys think and please don't knock me for conceit/ asking a stupid question because I really am curious and would like some feedback.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: 3.78/178
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 08:38:23 PM »
Considering a 2% increase in competition your chance base on index formula for Yale is approximatey 60-63% chance of admittance....

and the chances of getting into the lowest of the 5 (NYU-Columbia whichever is about a 80-85% chance of admittance, hope this clarifies somethings for you!
Good Luck!
IVY_Hopeful
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

monkeyboi

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 10:38:02 PM »
Where'd you come up with your figures? They don't seem all that accurate to be honest...but thanks for your input anyway.

lamie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 11:15:22 PM »
The "top-5" schools don't follow the typical admission criteria as most schools.  Unfortunately for most of us the majority of applicants to the aforementioned schools all have nearly perfect gpa's and lsat scores; therefore, more often than not one's acceptance comes down to the "smaller" things such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, ex. activities, and things like that.  I've known students with 3.8+ gpa's and 175+ lsat scores who haven't gained admission, but I've also known those with scores a little less who have had made the cut.  The quick answer to your question is that there is no answer.  Regardless, your scores are impressive, but don't try to coast in on your scores. Granted you shouldn't have a problem with a top-10 school, but focus on the things most people neglect if you're serious about pulling for either the Crimson or the Eli Bulldogs when Fall comes around and you're sitting in the "bowl" in New Haven, CT. 

dsds3581

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 11:35:53 PM »
I mainly agree with Lamie, though I wouldn't go so far as to say "all" who apply to the top 5 schools have near-perfect scores/GPA (SO many people throw in apps to these schools just for the hell of it, some with lower numbers apply because they really do want to attend, and then just about everyone with top numbers applies).

You know that with HYS, there's never going to be someone who can predict your chances...though I'd say you have the best shot at Harvard since they accept more people/have a bigger class than Yale and Stanford. Stanford seems to really just be rejecting all kinds of outstanding students this year, from looking at lawschoolnumbers.com (if you're just going to go on numbers, which as Lamie said, is not a wise thing to do with the top 5 schools). Some students have gotten into both Harvard and Yale and rejected at Stanford. And, though your LSAT score is bomb for just about any school, your GPA is closer to the 25th percentile for Yale (though I don't know what school you got that GPA from). It's not a bad GPA at all (Harvard's 25th is about the same as Yale's, and Stanford's is lower than both of theirs...all of their 25th's are lower than your GPA, from looking at USNews), but with the fact that Yale has the lowest acceptance rate and a small class size...again, I'd say out of HYS, you have the most realistic shot at Harvard.

With NYU and Columbia, I'd be surprised if you didn't get in--I think you will, unless something is really wrong with something else in your application. I'm kind of surprised you haven't heard from any of these schools yet...when did you apply?

lamie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 12:00:32 AM »
I agree with dsds3581 completely, however, I did post that the "majority" of applicants have near-perfect scores, not "all."  My point was that those ACCEPTED are all at or near the top of the spectrum. That's all, nothing big.  Just wanted the record to reflect my point.   

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 12:51:12 AM »
These numbers I posted were based on indexes that I got from an excel program I simply read off the chances % based on what was calculated (assuming that the indexes are correct and that all top schools simply admit based on those indexes) They don't seem all that accuate to me either but that's what comes up when the numbers are plugged in, just take these chances that are based soley on "numbers" at face value.
IVY
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

monkeyboi

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 04:34:24 AM »
Just to clear up some confusion about my post I actually did not apply to law school this year. I plan on waiting a year and getting my GPA up a bit. It shhould be over a 3.8 by the time I apply. Also the school I got the GPA from is top 30(I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference here). The thing that worries me is that the standards for the top three schools seem to be increasing each year(for 2003 Yale has median ranges of 3.8/3.97 and 169/175). I am just not sure how far a stellar LSAT score will carry me given those circumstances. More feedback would be appreciated and I really appreciate everything you guys have written thus far.

ryan1113

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 07:05:09 PM »
If you intend on trying to raise your GPA, just be aware that LSDAS does not count grades in courses earned after the first bachelor's degree is awarded. 

Regarding your LSAT score, according to privileged information I have, LSDAS investigates scores above 176.  It states that the score is typically delayed, the "-" symbol is used in place of a score on the candidate's item response report pending investigation, and "transmission of that data [meaning lsdas report to law schools] shall be withheld pending disposition".  So, just out of curiosity, was your score delayed or anything for scoring this high?  From the graph I'm looking at which is a little hard to read, it looks like only about one person in 1500 to 2000 or so actually manages to score a 178.  There's quite an exponential jump in the graph after about 175 or so, which is where most of the great brains appear to max out at.

monkeyboi

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 03:08:20 PM »
No, my score wasn't delayed. I've heard of other people getting their scores delayed, but the instances that I've heard of were irrespective of their scores.