Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I don't understand LSDAS...please help!  (Read 1456 times)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
I don't understand LSDAS...please help!
« on: November 05, 2006, 06:07:55 PM »
Alright, so I'm very lost and overwhelmed by this entire application process through LSAC. I'm at the point where I'm debating if it'd even be better to individually apply to the schools than to do it online. I've looked through the entire LSAC website for any information that could help clarify but have found nothing useful...I've watched all the demos and all that jazz but still confused.

So far, I registered for LSDAS, paying the $110 (or whatever) fee and have my transcripts and my letters of recommendation loaded in. The way I understand it, I just apply for the individual law schools through LSAC, uploading personal statement, resume, and any other supplemental information and then just wait for the school to request my LSDAS report, which would entail my transcripts, LSAT score, and LORs? Do I need to "order" reports myself for every school that I am applying to beforehand, or do i just wait until the school requests the report? I guess what I'm asking is how exactly this LSDAS report request process works and when I pay the required $12.

Secondly, I'm confused as to the deadlines. For example, for ED (I know it's late now but I'm just using this as an example) at WUSTL, their website states that your application should be in by November 1 and your file must be complete by December 1. What does this mean exactly? What needs to be in by November 1 and what needs to be in by December 1? If the deadline is November 1, would this mean that as long as I complete my app on the LSAC website and pay the app fee before Nov. 1 I'd be fine? Or do I have to take into account any lags that may take place in transferring the app from LSAC to WUSTL Law?

Thirdly, UVA says they expect all materials to be in by November 15 for their ED program. Now, does this mean I should have to have my application submitted way before then so that they can request and thenr receive my LSDAS report by November 15, hence completing my file?

I guess what I'm really asking for is a rundown of how the actual application process works since there are so many uncertainties. Any help or input into the process would be greatly appreciated! I've tried looking through the forums and while threads were helpful, I really think it would be useful to have some kind of sticky thread just to discuss the freaking logistics of this whole nightmare...uggh

austin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I don't understand LSDAS...please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 06:19:14 PM »
You have to purchase one $12 report for each school to which you are applying.  You should pay for these at the same time as your application.

The Nov 1 deadline was for submitting just your application (bio forms, resume, ps, optional addenda).  To go complete is to have both your application and your law reports submitted to the law school.  The reports can only be submitted when the law school itself requests them.  This is why you should buy them now.  Depending on the school, the report is not usually requested until at least a week or two after you submit the application.

For UVA, you need the application in by that date, certainly.  I suppose they want your reports to be complete too.  That is, make sure your transcript and LORs are already on file in LSAC.

I went through the same problems as you.  LSAC, in my opinion, could definitely be more user-friendly.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 06:53:11 PM »
Thanks much, Austin.

I'm still a little confused, though. If a school requires that my file be complete by a certain date, this certainly depends on how long it takes for them to request my report once they receive my application, no? Here's UVa's little description on what needs to be in by the deadline for ED:

"Early Decision applicants must ensure that we have received a completed application by November 15, 2006. A completed Early Decision application includes the signed Early Decision Agreement; the application; any attachments required as part of the application, including the personal statement; the LSAT/LSDAS report; two letters of recommendation; and the $70 application fee. Please note that it can take 1014 days for an application submitted through the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC) electronic application service to reach us."

So it seems pretty clear that they want *everything* by November 15, meaning you should have your actual application submitted way before then, to give them time to receive your LSDAS report? Also, they note that it can take 10-14 days for an application submitted through LSAC to reach them.  Again, does this mean that I have to submit my damn apps 2 weeks in advance of the deadlines to make sure they get to the law school by the deadline? Or when a law school has a deadline does it just mean that your app should be submitted through LSAC by the deadline. I guess what I'm really asking is what these various deadlines really mean--are they referring to when you submit stuff on LSAC or do they expect you to take into account when the school will actually receive your materials from LSAC?

I totally think LSAC is inefficient and have thought so since the minute I registered for the LSAT.

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 07:01:47 PM »
The best thing I did was to apply to a fee-waived school in my safety net as the means to learn how the whole system worked. I didn't want to mess up my reach school or ED/ED apps, so I guess they were my safety schools in more than one way. After plugging along through a couple apps, I learned the ins and outs quite well.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 07:07:35 PM »
The best thing I did was to apply to a fee-waived school in my safety net as the means to learn how the whole system worked. I didn't want to mess up my reach school or ED/ED apps, so I guess they were my safety schools in more than one way. After plugging along through a couple apps, I learned the ins and outs quite well.

Hmm, yes, I was thinking of doing something along these lines. Thanks.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 12:07:02 AM »
Yes, if the deadline for a 'Complete file' is at X date, you need to submit your application sometime before X date in order to ensure that the application and LSDAS report arrive at the school in time. Now, from my experience so far, schools have been getting my report in about 4-5 days. However, there's no guarantee. You should definitely submit your applications at least two weeks in advance of any deadline (and that's why some schools have that first deadline for just submitting an application and a second 'complete' deadline, in order to ensure that people submit their applications far enough in advance to go complete on time).
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »
How do you request/pay for a report if you applied for a school through THEIR website (for free!)

Will they ask LSAC for one and THEN I pay?  I can't find anywhere on their website to just pay right now ... it's pissing me off  >:(

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »
i think you can order a report from lsac and pay the $12, and if you have a report paod for and not directed to a specific place, i think when a law school requests your records from lsac after receiving your app, lsac will forward it to them since you prepaid to have one ready to go.

/but i'm really not sure how it works

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 10:26:01 PM »
i think you can order a report from lsac and pay the $12, and if you have a report paod for and not directed to a specific place, i think when a law school requests your records from lsac after receiving your app, lsac will forward it to them since you prepaid to have one ready to go.

Yeah, that's the impression I got...So you just kind of have a bunch of pre-paid reports waiting to be sent out as soon as a school requests one.

the scientist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 10:52:50 PM »
How do you request/pay for a report if you applied for a school through THEIR website (for free!)

Will they ask LSAC for one and THEN I pay?  I can't find anywhere on their website to just pay right now ... it's pissing me off  >:(

can anyone answer this question??

And can anyone confirm this?