Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYC region  (Read 2049 times)

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
Re: NYC region
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 01:53:02 AM »
I think people here are too down on Fordham and on the NYC/NJ T2s. Maybe they do not have the prestige of the t14, but they do place people in other jobs, outside of biglaw that are still have prestige and fairly high salaries...like low 100K range.

Also a lot of people were talking about Seton Hall...I visited there over the summer and I was really impressed with their facilities and they have a good location, in a nice part of Newark a block to the PATH and NJ Transit. Also, remember that in NJ there is heavy domination mostly by both Seton Hall and Rutgers, so as long as you're ok being in Jersey it should be fine. I always thought I hated it here but it's grown on me and now the thought of being "stuck in Jersey" isn't as bothersome...

Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who told you to put the balm on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »
I think people here are too down on Fordham and on the NYC/NJ T2s. Maybe they do not have the prestige of the t14, but they do place people in other jobs, outside of biglaw that are still have prestige and fairly high salaries...like low 100K range.

Also a lot of people were talking about Seton Hall...I visited there over the summer and I was really impressed with their facilities and they have a good location, in a nice part of Newark a block to the PATH and NJ Transit. Also, remember that in NJ there is heavy domination mostly by both Seton Hall and Rutgers, so as long as you're ok being in Jersey it should be fine. I always thought I hated it here but it's grown on me and now the thought of being "stuck in Jersey" isn't as bothersome...

seton hall seems to be a great choice either if you are going to be in ny/nj.....seton hall does get a lot judicial clerkships but it does not say where though...i am applying to a lot in ny and nj but how well does fordham pt (then transfer into ft) look if you started off as a pt student? i would personally love to get a clerkship position coming out then go into biglaw after that....anyone know how well buffalo places in nyc?

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 07:07:07 PM »

I like Seton Hall a lot, especially the impressive facility.  I was just worried that their school seems to focus too much on the Health and technology law stuff, what do you all think about Seton Hall?

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 08:35:59 PM »
I know they have an LLM in Health Law, but when I was there I didn't get the impression that it was such a heavy focus. I had a professor at my UG for a law class who went to Seton Hall who worked mostly with family law and he was doing extremely well and spoke highly of SHU. He brought in a speaker who teaches Islamic law there. I think that it's a safe bet considering in NJ your competition is mostly just Rutgers and there also will always be a need for lawyers here. I like that they have the highest bar pass rate in the state and high one for NY. Also, for what's it worth, Princeton Review says they're ranked 2nd in the metro area for "students most satisfied with their education".

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 01:34:51 PM »
Buffalo's reputation in NYC is growing - not only because of Alumns who relocate- but also through increased awareness and programs such as the partnership/studies program it has in NYC. It is an international finance and law program where students live/work in NYC for 12 weeks. I spoke to several 'big law' firms who had hired Buffalo grads and the reputation is very good. Also, while in the past the on-campus placement has been average, the programs there, too, are improving.

Hope this helps.

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 04:34:18 PM »
I know a handful of recent grads from Fordham who all had federal clerkships (two circuit-level) and ended up with essentially the jobs of their choice.  They were all in the top 10% of the class and came into school with scholarships and other predictors of success.  I'm sure other people in the top half of the class do just fine in the NYC market, but they're certainly not at Skadden in the same numbers as CLS grads.  The OP didn't seem that interested in biglaw, however.  I think the answer is that Fordham is a very fine school if you are not absolutely committed to the most competitive jobs (V10, etc.)

Do you know what the starting salary difference is between biglaw and whatever the next "lower tier" is? The last I heard, biglaw was mostly starting at $145k in NYC.

Regardless, I still think if you had the option you'd be crazy to chose Fordham over CLS and NYU, even with a full-ride to Fordham and no money to CLS or NYU, unless you want to do public interest (and even then I wouldn't be so sure). The job opportunities are different, significantly, regardless of how heavy Skadden recruits.

Ha I'm sorry man, but you have (almost) no idea what you are talking about.  OF COURSE it is not even an option when comparing columbia/nyu to fordham; clearly they're superior.  But "maybe if you want to do public interest law, go to fordham??"  So, you do realize that Fordham is ranked like no. 7 or something in the country in terms of placement at top 20 firms in the U.S.A. (which essentially means Manhattan).  Obviously you get into the top ones you take it, but that statistic alone is remarkable considering that it's ranked ~30.  Incredible alumni network.  You do top quarter, you have better chance of getting NYU job than all the UCs, all that *&^%. 

Tyrael

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 02:10:47 AM »
I know a handful of recent grads from Fordham who all had federal clerkships (two circuit-level) and ended up with essentially the jobs of their choice.  They were all in the top 10% of the class and came into school with scholarships and other predictors of success.  I'm sure other people in the top half of the class do just fine in the NYC market, but they're certainly not at Skadden in the same numbers as CLS grads.  The OP didn't seem that interested in biglaw, however.  I think the answer is that Fordham is a very fine school if you are not absolutely committed to the most competitive jobs (V10, etc.)

Do you know what the starting salary difference is between biglaw and whatever the next "lower tier" is? The last I heard, biglaw was mostly starting at $145k in NYC.

biglaw firms give 2L summer associates $2900 A WEEK... A FREAKING WEEK...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 06:53:47 AM »
Well, Wachtell pays $2850 a week, and is as far as I can tell the highest. Skadden pays $2800 a week, and most others follow in that same area.

Reign

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2006, 10:31:20 PM »
About a week or so ago I saw adverts from three different recruiters and one firm (different NY jobs based on the copy). But all said basically..."must be top twenty school. Will consider Fordham and Albany."

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2006, 10:54:50 PM »
Fordham I can understand, Albany is more than surprising... tier3 school