Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYC region  (Read 2004 times)

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYC region
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 03:09:36 PM »
My friend who works for Skadden says that they recruit just as heavily at Fordham as they do at CLS and NYU. He went to Harvard and still thinks that Fordham is a good school. Of course, you have to finish in the top third for a good chance at biglaw (barring any special skills), but that's perfectly reasonable.

Somehow, I doubt this.
Penn Law '09

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 03:14:42 PM »
My friend who works for Skadden says that they recruit just as heavily at Fordham as they do at CLS and NYU. He went to Harvard and still thinks that Fordham is a good school. Of course, you have to finish in the top third for a good chance at biglaw (barring any special skills), but that's perfectly reasonable.

What does he mean by "recruit as heavily" there?  That they recruit there, too?  Or that they hire as deep into the class?  Because I'll say right now, I'm not buying the latter, and that's by far the more useful measuring stick.

That they have as much of a presence there as at CLS and NYU. I don't think he meant that they hire as many people from there. But if you're near the top of the class at Fordham, you have a good chance.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 03:16:07 PM »

Somehow, I doubt this.

I dunno, this is what he told me. See previous post for further explanation.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »
I know a handful of recent grads from Fordham who all had federal clerkships (two circuit-level) and ended up with essentially the jobs of their choice.  They were all in the top 10% of the class and came into school with scholarships and other predictors of success.  I'm sure other people in the top half of the class do just fine in the NYC market, but they're certainly not at Skadden in the same numbers as CLS grads.  The OP didn't seem that interested in biglaw, however.  I think the answer is that Fordham is a very fine school if you are not absolutely committed to the most competitive jobs (V10, etc.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »
I know a handful of recent grads from Fordham who all had federal clerkships (two circuit-level) and ended up with essentially the jobs of their choice.  They were all in the top 10% of the class and came into school with scholarships and other predictors of success.  I'm sure other people in the top half of the class do just fine in the NYC market, but they're certainly not at Skadden in the same numbers as CLS grads.  The OP didn't seem that interested in biglaw, however.  I think the answer is that Fordham is a very fine school if you are not absolutely committed to the most competitive jobs (V10, etc.)

Do you know what the starting salary difference is between biglaw and whatever the next "lower tier" is? The last I heard, biglaw was mostly starting at $145k in NYC.

LSN</

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 03:33:36 PM »
I know a handful of recent grads from Fordham who all had federal clerkships (two circuit-level) and ended up with essentially the jobs of their choice.  They were all in the top 10% of the class and came into school with scholarships and other predictors of success.  I'm sure other people in the top half of the class do just fine in the NYC market, but they're certainly not at Skadden in the same numbers as CLS grads.  The OP didn't seem that interested in biglaw, however.  I think the answer is that Fordham is a very fine school if you are not absolutely committed to the most competitive jobs (V10, etc.)

Do you know what the starting salary difference is between biglaw and whatever the next "lower tier" is? The last I heard, biglaw was mostly starting at $145k in NYC.

Regardless, I still think if you had the option you'd be crazy to chose Fordham over CLS and NYU, even with a full-ride to Fordham and no money to CLS or NYU, unless you want to do public interest (and even then I wouldn't be so sure). The job opportunities are different, significantly, regardless of how heavy Skadden recruits.
Penn Law '09

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 03:36:18 PM »

Regardless, I still think if you had the option you'd be crazy to chose Fordham over CLS and NYU, even with a full-ride to Fordham and no money to CLS or NYU, unless you want to do public interest (and even then I wouldn't be so sure). The job opportunities are different, significantly, regardless of how heavy Skadden recruits.

I would agree, if you don't get into NYU, CLS, or Fordham, then you should consider the other top law schools that are not in NYC.  Cardozo, Brooklyn, St. JOhn's are all good but considered Tier 2 and def. not on the same level as NYU, CLS, or Fordham.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »

EEtoJD, I have no ideas about salaries in private firms.  I can tell you a good deal about the pay scales at various public defender agencies.

Towelie, I agree with you (especially about public interest work, actually), but I'm not sure the OP was implying that s/he would have this choice.  The question seemed to be, which are the best options after NYU and Columbia?  The answer is clearly Fordham, for any kind of practice.  Then probably Cardozo for commercial law, IP, and any interesting theoretical stuff; Brooklyn for most other things.  If these schools are out of reach, don't overlook Seton Hall, which has a really interesting faculty, and, if you are interested in public interest work, CUNY and Rutgers.  That's all.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 03:41:12 PM »

Of course. I do wonder, though, what my opportunities will look like as an EE going into patent law. I keep hearing that EE's are highly desired, so I wonder if it would matter where I go slighly less than for most people... probably not, but one can dream.

LSN</

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »

EEtoJD, I have no ideas about salaries in private firms.  I can tell you a good deal about the pay scales at various public defender agencies.

Towelie, I agree with you (especially about public interest work, actually), but I'm not sure the OP was implying that s/he would have this choice.  The question seemed to be, which are the best options after NYU and Columbia?  The answer is clearly Fordham, for any kind of practice.  Then probably Cardozo for commercial law, IP, and any interesting theoretical stuff; Brooklyn for most other things.  If these schools are out of reach, don't overlook Seton Hall, which has a really interesting faculty, and, if you are interested in public interest work, CUNY and Rutgers.  That's all.

I read that Seton Hall does not place well in NYC.  In fact, most get stuck in NJ.