Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: a question for 1Ls, and everybody else really...  (Read 897 times)

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
a question for 1Ls, and everybody else really...
« on: November 05, 2006, 12:55:45 AM »
is an LSAT addendum a good idea??

I got a 163 with a 3.91 GPA. obviously, the LSAT's holding me back. thing is, I've lived in the US for less than 5 years, with English not being my first language (or my second, for that matter). I wrote an addendum saying that I can write good essays and take good exams (my GPA being the primary evidence), but just don't read as fast as native speakers and thus couldn't finish several sections.

would that help, or would it hurt because the addcoms might think I won't be able to carry the workload?

thanks.
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

sk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: a question for 1Ls, and everybody else really...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 02:17:31 AM »
any opinions would really be helpful...

--LSN--

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 02:19:17 AM »
Like you said...your GPA can prove your work ethic...work on that addendum...I'll give it a read when you're through...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

sk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 02:30:20 AM »
can I PM it to you, so you can tell me what u think?

--LSN--

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 03:39:05 AM »
go ahead....
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

Guerito

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 09:01:39 AM »
Many native english speakers find it hard to keep up with the amount of reading required.  It's literally all you do first year... so telling ad coms that it takes you a long time to read may not be the best way to persuade them to admit you.  163 is around 90th percentile?  That's still respectable and will get you into many good schools.  Spend the time writing your diversity essay well and you'll give yourself a much better shot.  Talk about how, even though English is not your first language, you still managed a 3.9, etc.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 10:08:29 AM »
If the adcomms can find out that you are not a native speaker somewhere on the rest of the application, there's no need to repeat it in an addendum. As it is, a 163 is a very high score, so you're probably in better shape than a lot of native speakers. I agree with Guerito that it would be better to focus on a diversity statement than an LSAT addendum.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 12:28:52 PM »
I would agree with the thoughts posted, adding that addenda are best reserved for eye-popping marks such as arrests, 1.0 GPA semesters and the like.  With your highly respectable LSAT score, I'd guess that an addenda is just as likely (if not moreso) to hurt you as help you.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 12:42:38 PM »
An LSAT addendum will be helpful, but not the extent to put you into T14 territory. You have a slight chance at Boalt, but I could see it helping at non-T14 schools with that GPA and what really is a decent LSAT.
Penn Law '09

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 03:40:47 PM »
is an LSAT addendum a good idea??

I got a 163 with a 3.91 GPA. obviously, the LSAT's holding me back. thing is, I've lived in the US for less than 5 years, with English not being my first language (or my second, for that matter). I wrote an addendum saying that I can write good essays and take good exams (my GPA being the primary evidence), but just don't read as fast as native speakers and thus couldn't finish several sections.

would that help, or would it hurt because the addcoms might think I won't be able to carry the workload?

thanks.

163 is a very respectable score and ranks in the 90 percentile, I don't see why you would need an addendum.  Be careful, you might come off sounding whiny and that might hurt you more.