Law School Discussion

SMU 1L up for questions

guyminuslife

Re: SMU 1L up for questions
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 03:05:52 PM »
Addressomg only (part of) the last part, it will be much easier from SMU to get a job in Dallas than in Houston.  One of the potential oddities of the Texas legal market.

Assuming someone goes to Oklahoma for law school and assume in the median of the class, how hard is it to obtain small law firm job in Dallas or Houston?

All I know is that Oklahoma schools place more students in Texas than in Oklahoma. It's not as good at placements as, say, SMU or Baylor, though. It's decent for the Dallas area (since Dallas is really the local legal metropolis) and is better than, say, Texas Tech. I don't think its radius goes as far as Houston, though. If you want to work in Houston and your numbers are about right for Oklahoma, I'd suggest applying to UofH, which has similar 25/75%ile numbers and is considered a decent local school in the Houston area.

I've been to Highland Park a couple of times and I never saw anyone who wasn't white. It's weird. I didn't even see the usual illegal immigrants doing lawn care.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 03:09:25 PM »
What about low tuition state schools near Texas?

All I know is that Oklahoma schools place more students in Texas than in Oklahoma. It's not as good at placements as, say, SMU or Baylor, though. It's decent for the Dallas area (since Dallas is really the local legal metropolis) and is better than, say, Texas Tech. I don't think its radius goes as far as Houston, though. If you want to work in Houston and your numbers are about right for Oklahoma, I'd suggest applying to UofH, which has similar 25/75%ile numbers and is considered a decent local school in the Houston area.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »

Highland Park is full of rich white people. It's one of those unfortunate places where cops pulling over black people is what's done. I wish that were just a stereotype, but my black friends in high school would get pulled over there regularly

So, only blacks get pulled over and get discriminated?  What about Hispanics, Asians? 

i don't know from personal experience, but i think less frequently. there are a few asians in highland park, and i don't think police officers look at them as risks. Hispanics are harder to just look into a car and tell if they're Hispanic. Plus, lots of Hispanics actually work in Highland Park, but the same can't be said of African Americans.

Ever

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »
Why is SMU so douchey about not letting me use their law library on the weekends?

I have no idea.

Is Highland Park full of yuppies or what?

Yes and No. It is an odd little town within a city but there isnít much interaction between the law school and the surrounding area.

How much churchiness is there on campus?

Little to none that Iíve seen. Quite a bit of federalism and 2nd amendment thumpers but beyond that most everyone focuses on school.

Can you really afford anything in the neighborhood?

There are a lot of houses for rent on the western side of campus in university park that look like they would be worthwhile, but I have no idea on price. I live in the Mockingbird/Skillman area which means my drive into campus is about 5-10 minutes. Most people seem to live in the Village or Uptown and I think that runs around 1,000 a month or so depending; roughly the same drive time.

There are condos along University (the road which runs east west into the heart of campus) that run between 60-110k. Some of those are very nice. The M-Streets which are south of mockingbird have a number of homes for rent that are pretty reasonable. The area around me has a few duplexes and homes for rent as well.

If youíre looking to buy a house most two bedroom bungalows around my area sell for $100+ a square foot depending. There are some much larger four and five bedroom homes off of Skillman and University in an older community that sell for around 175,000 I think. Best part of that is prices in the area have been moving upwards despite the housing slow down so you may end up with a profit when you sell.

---

Addressomg only (part of) the last part, it will be much easier from SMU to get a job in Dallas than in Houston.  One of the potential oddities of the Texas legal market.

Assuming someone goes to Oklahoma for law school and assume in the median of the class, how hard is it to obtain small law firm job in Dallas or Houston?

When I looked at OU Law I got the impression that you were much better off staying in state. There was one guy on the student panel we spoke to who was looking at a job in Dallas and he was top 10%.

Iíve no idea about your second post though. Career services wasnít able to communicate with the students until November 1st. Summer internships for 1Ls almost never pay and most students use their first summer for unpaid clerkships and fulfilling their community service hours which is either 30 or 40 hours Ė I think.

Average starting salary in Dallas for an associate in private practice is around 110k according to a D magazine from this last spring. 75% of all SMU Law grads have been promoted or transferred within their firm within 5 years. The vast majority of students go into large/medium firms when they graduate.

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »
Look to east of I75 when looking for a place...generally rent will fall between $500-$800/month. My apt complex is very pet friendly...they even have xmas day photos for pet owners and their pets in the common room and it is across the street from a vet clinic.

The SMU Law students are different than the SMU undergrads but there are a lot of similarities. Many of the students here come from money and have job guarentees from their family or family's connections. You will see many BMWs, Benzs, and Range Rovers in the law school parking garage. There are a bunch of ex-frats and soroity types here too, but not as prelevent as I thought there would be. Most students here are from TX and OK, and mostly though conservative are not too bad generally. All that said, this school is pretty much a high school...there are clicks, there is drama, and there is gossip. However, that is the case for most if not all law schools, but that is something to keep in mind.

I like SMU overall but I think the administration is run by a closeted twit who seems to only work here for an extra bullet point on his resume. The rest of the staff seem to purposely try to be as inefficient as possible regarding the most simplest of tasks. I only rant because this school is private with excess tuition rates that doesn't reflect the kind of service that is provided. Although I am impressed with the faulty here as well as the potential job placement this school "should" offer (I think the next few years will be more difficult for law students to find jobs in the DFW area). 

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:36 AM »
i'll be hitting ever up for info as soon as my ut deferral shows up and i start banking on smu

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 05:40:31 PM »
Midjeep, how's the summer job hunting going? 

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »
I am a 1L at SMU.  I have 2 dogs and found a duplex not far from campus (east of 75 near Villages).  I pay about $900 for a pretty nice 2BR.  It has never taken me longer than 10 mins to get to campus. 

The faculty has surprised me.  Aside from one prof who, while being quite intelligent does not seem to care much, my other profs have a surprising level of concern for the welfare and education of the students.  A couple of profs in particular have been two of the best I have ever had.

Overall, I have been quite pleased with my experience so far.

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 06:03:29 PM »
Midjeep, how's the summer job hunting going? 

It's going, but I'm not expecting anything until after March. At SMU we still have Spring OCI and a small number of big law firms interview for people they missed during Fall OCI or for those who might have been moved to the top 25%. Plus the medium and small firms don't start interviewing until Jan and Feb so I guess I will keep my fingers crossed till then.  ;)

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 06:04:44 PM »
Aside from one prof who, while being quite intelligent does not seem to care much, my other profs have a surprising level of concern for the welfare and education of the students. 

Sounds like you have Dorsaneo  :D