Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School specific forms  (Read 1421 times)

cyrus62

• View Profile
School specific forms
« on: August 29, 2004, 10:06:56 AM »
Hello all
Is there any hard and fast rules concerning school specific forms?  Many of them do not say whether it is allowable to use the LSAC general form instead.  Is it mandatory or prefered to use the school forms?  Thanks for any assistance.

JaCKLoNe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: School specific forms
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 11:04:52 PM »
I have no idea... I've been wondering that myself. Someone reply please....

pepem

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 12:09:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure the only thing that you have to worry about printing and sending is the Dean's Certification, and any  supplemental financial forms.  All essays, LORs, and apps can be done through LSACD or LSACD on the Web.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 02:07:47 AM »
Yeah, I would say that you can feel free to use the LSDAS service.  My one exception is Stanford, which encourages its own form and is my first choice.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 03:15:34 AM »
Yeah, I would say that you can feel free to use the LSDAS service. My one exception is Stanford, which encourages its own form and is my first choice.

Really?  I didn't know that about Stanford, but Columbia also says it prefers to have school-specific LORs.  Yale and UCLA both say they prefer LSDAS.  I don't have info for the rest of the schools yet.  I should start e-mailing them all...
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 06:54:06 PM »
http://www.law.stanford.edu/admissions/jd/procedure.html

"You should be aware that this service [LSDAS] will not accommodate any letters written on your behalf in which your recommender describes your qualifications specifically for Stanford Law School. Rather, these school-specific letters must be sent directly to us by using our Statement of Instructor (Form C). While it is your decision whether to utilize this service, please be aware of the high value Stanford places on school-specific letters of recommendation on Form C."

Again, I'm following along because it's Stanford.  For the rest, they can enjoy my LSDAS letters (if Yale wanted a special one, I would probably give them one too though).

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 07:13:13 PM »
http://www.law.stanford.edu/admissions/jd/procedure.html

"You should be aware that this service [LSDAS] will not accommodate any letters written on your behalf in which your recommender describes your qualifications specifically for Stanford Law School. Rather, these school-specific letters must be sent directly to us by using our Statement of Instructor (Form C). While it is your decision whether to utilize this service, please be aware of the high value Stanford places on school-specific letters of recommendation on Form C."

Again, I'm following along because it's Stanford.  For the rest, they can enjoy my LSDAS letters (if Yale wanted a special one, I would probably give them one too though).

I did end up checking their website yesterday too after reading your post and updated my little Excel file :)  Stanford will definitely get a personal letter from me.  I'm going to see how many letters I'd have to ask each recommender to send first, but I'm probably going to do exactly what the schools say they prefer.  I think that'll be like 5 letters from each person; not that bad, since really it's just one letter with a different address.  I'm doing just as much in addressing envelopes and such separately.  :)  I was going to send Yale separate letters to show my love, but they actually specifically say they prefer LSAC, so my recommenders got saved there ;)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 07:26:44 PM »
Actually, with the new rec forms, you can send school specific recs.  The downside would be that the school specific form wouldn't be attached, unless the recommender incorporated it somehow with their rec.  Not saying any way is better, but I am glad that all the schools I'm applying to prefer or have no preference as to which rec form to use!

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 01:57:18 AM »
Actually, with the new rec forms, you can send school specific recs.  The downside would be that the school specific form wouldn't be attached, unless the recommender incorporated it somehow with their rec.  Not saying any way is better, but I am glad that all the schools I'm applying to prefer or have no preference as to which rec form to use!

I did see that, but as I said in a post on some other board somewhere (on LSD, just not sure which thread), since it's the first year they're doing school-specific recs through LSAC, I'd be kinda hesitant to use it.  I'm just lame and paranoid like that.  And like you said, Jacy, the school form wouldn't be attached, which I'm thinking is the more important part of a school's preference for using their forms for letters, right?  The LSAC one is great if you have alumni from a school writing.  Unless you're paranoid like me :)