Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Far to Reach for a Reach School?  (Read 1223 times)

button127

• View Profile
How Far to Reach for a Reach School?
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:56:06 PM »
I was just wondering what your opinions are for how much of a chance to take apply to schools out of your league so to speak. My #s (ugpa - 2.7) of lsdas 2.6 gpa/ lsat 153 don't put me in a very good position to get into a lot of places. Although I played a Division 1 sport for four years I doubt I'll include an addendum for my gpa.

My prelaw advisor said a reach school would be a school 2 points median average higher than my own lsat score. But looking at somewhere like Stetson I don't think I'll even be looked at seriously when GPA comes into play.

I set aside money to apply to about 10 or so schools but I dont wanna be throwing money into app fees for no reason. Anyone have some insight? Thanks in advance, wish I found this place sooner.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How Far to Reach for a Reach School?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 04:04:19 PM »
Depends on how long your arms are.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:08:41 PM »
But seriously, I would do this:

Go to the LSAC calculator and plug in your numbers. Pick reaches where you have roughly a 25-35% chance. Obviously this is not an exact science, make sure you pick at least three safeties.

Also, with your numbers you are going to need to consider school location. If you want to practice in Boston, for example, you should go to a Boston area school. If you don't have any preference in terms of where you'd like to practice this may not matter so much.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:08:53 PM »
I was accepted and am now attending a school where Chiashu, last year, only gave me about a 15% chance of accpetance. Use Chiashu and LSAC to decide what your reach schools are and either apply to only a few or apply to plenty of them, hoping one will say yes. Just make sure you have safeties and matches too.

Also, never listen to a pre-law advisor.
Penn Law '09

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 04:10:23 PM »
I'm in the same boat is you. My LSAT scores are ehhh and I don't understand what my chances really are at certain schools. I've used the calculators and looked up median gpas/lsat scores, but it's just confusing. What really throws me off is when they display their 25-75 percentile LSAT scores. I feel like it's impossible to tell how much they deviate from those numbers on the lower end of the spectrum. For example, my LSAT score is a 158 and that's in the 25th percentile @ Tulane. That doesn't tell me anything about my shot of getting in, except that I'll be lucky if I do! Basically, I wished they showed more statistics...like the lowest LSAT score accepted and possibly the GPA/LSAT equation they use if applicable.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 04:13:02 PM »
But seriously, I would do this:

Go to the LSAC calculator and plug in your numbers. Pick reaches where you have roughly a 25-35% chance. Obviously this is not an exact science, make sure you pick at least three safeties.

Also, with your numbers you are going to need to consider school location. If you want to practice in Boston, for example, you should go to a Boston area school. If you don't have any preference in terms of where you'd like to practice this may not matter so much.

Location is also somewhat of a factor but I ws thinking about some schools in FL because of the reciprocacy into NY. Heard that from a few people but I'm not sure if thats a solid plan to follow. Doing something like that would obviously be 2nd choice from attending a school in the Northeast but still an option I guess.

I guess through the whole process I've become obsessed with the admissions #s and deciding where to apply, with the addage of "you miss 100% of the shots you never take" in the back of my mind which only adds to the uncertainty, lol.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 04:32:53 PM »

Location is also somewhat of a factor but I ws thinking about some schools in FL because of the reciprocacy into NY. Heard that from a few people but I'm not sure if thats a solid plan to follow. Doing something like that would obviously be 2nd choice from attending a school in the Northeast but still an option I guess.

I guess through the whole process I've become obsessed with the admissions #s and deciding where to apply, with the addage of "you miss 100% of the shots you never take" in the back of my mind which only adds to the uncertainty, lol.

I haven't heard that about the FL schools, I was under the impression that Florida schools beget life-long Floridians, but I could be mistaken. Definitely something to research.

If there is a school that you are in love with I would say it is always worth the application fee. I am applying to 10 schools as well, and I have 3 reaches, four targets and 3 safeties. (By the numbers, anyway). So I would advocate some variation of that formula for most people.

becky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 04:54:13 PM »
How do you get to the calculator on LSAC that tells you roughly what your chances are?

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 06:11:01 PM »
Depending on the division I sport, you should definitely note that on your application. Basically, if it was football, basketball, baseball, soccer, swimming, track, wrestling, or volleyball, milk the hell out of it.
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 06:50:07 PM »
If you've got the money and the dream, I'd encourage you to reach until your shoulder is broken and then some.  Miracles, although rare, can and do happen and I feel it's foolish not to give yourself all possible opportunities to achieve your dreams.