Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about PSs for Canadian Schools (U of T in particular)  (Read 1083 times)

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
Question about PSs for Canadian Schools (U of T in particular)
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:58:21 AM »
I have a question about the content of the PS for Canadian schools.

For a lot of American schools, it seems that you are encouraged to avoid talking about "why I want to be a lawyer" in your PS - unless they specifically tell you to write on that topic. Most drafts I have written are thus quite personal and don't explicitly say why I want to pursue a legal profession. Canadian schools, however, seem to expect that you will make some mention of why you want to study law and what you will do with it. I am confused. Before I submit, I want to be sure...
U of T does say there is no prescribed content or format but I am not sure if I can get away without explicitely stating why I want to study law? I suppose I should have contacted them but until now I assumed that it would be the same as American schools (Yeah I am a D0UCHE).
I do have a draft or two that do talk directly about "why law," but I think it's pretty dry and boring. I have another draft that is more personal and interesting, but that doesn't explicitly state why I am applying for law schools and what I want to do with my law degree.
Suggestions will be greatly appreciated..
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

ouchitburns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question about PSs for Canadian Schools (U of T) in particular
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 12:03:38 PM »
oh man! It's due today.

completely not ready.

oh, also, yeah. who knows? I have a pretty basic PS that I will probably send in, which is much more autobiographical and WHY LAW based than the stranger one I have for american schools.

I feel that, for canadian schools, a PS that more specifically outlines why law school is for you is preferable. But, I have not applied. You could call this morning. I bet the admissions office won't be busy.

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 12:04:22 PM »
I bet the admissions office won't be busy.

:(

A lot of ppl seem to have combined their answers for Osgoode. I am thinking about combining mine but it is super boring. I WANNA KILL MYSELF !!!! ARRGHHH!!!
this guy

ouchitburns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »
Send in something interesting. You have a good background and solid stats. UofT wants to build a class like any other law school. Don't be boring, especially if you are not.

If you have a PS for an american school, modify it slightly to include a bit about why you want to go into law. I can only assume that this is possible.

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »
:D
Yeah. It should be possible.
Kay I am signing off. Will immerge with something in 3 hours.
And then
I AM GONNA BE DONE!!!

So you haven't submitted yours yet?
this guy

ouchitburns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:16:14 PM »
nope, but I have unresolved financial concerns.

I want to submit late, but I am worried about potential problems. I may have to suck it up and live on raman for the next few months.

I really want to know stats on late applications and their relative success. I should start a post.

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 12:20:54 PM »
nope, but I have unresolved financial concerns.

I want to submit late, but I am worried about potential problems. I may have to suck it up and live on raman for the next few months.

I really want to know stats on late applications and their relative success. I should start a post.

well from the tone of the info they provide on the U of T web site, it seems like they are pretty understanding as long as you give them a valid reason. Have you called them? You should.. and when you do, you can ask them my PS question too. :o
sorry.
But I think it should be okay if you can prove to them why you are late applying. There was at least one person who was accepted in August or something into U of T last year so I'm sure they keep some spots open. Besides stuff gets delivered to them from the OLSAS only around December because of the inefficency of the OLSAS anyway.
this guy