Law School Discussion

Question about PSs for Canadian Schools (U of T in particular)

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
Question about PSs for Canadian Schools (U of T in particular)
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:58:21 AM »
I have a question about the content of the PS for Canadian schools.

For a lot of American schools, it seems that you are encouraged to avoid talking about "why I want to be a lawyer" in your PS - unless they specifically tell you to write on that topic. Most drafts I have written are thus quite personal and don't explicitly say why I want to pursue a legal profession. Canadian schools, however, seem to expect that you will make some mention of why you want to study law and what you will do with it. I am confused. Before I submit, I want to be sure...
U of T does say there is no prescribed content or format but I am not sure if I can get away without explicitely stating why I want to study law? I suppose I should have contacted them but until now I assumed that it would be the same as American schools (Yeah I am a D0UCHE).
I do have a draft or two that do talk directly about "why law," but I think it's pretty dry and boring. I have another draft that is more personal and interesting, but that doesn't explicitly state why I am applying for law schools and what I want to do with my law degree.
Suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

Re: Question about PSs for Canadian Schools (U of T) in particular
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:03:38 AM »
oh man! It's due today.

completely not ready.

oh, also, yeah. who knows? I have a pretty basic PS that I will probably send in, which is much more autobiographical and WHY LAW based than the stranger one I have for american schools.

I feel that, for canadian schools, a PS that more specifically outlines why law school is for you is preferable. But, I have not applied. You could call this morning. I bet the admissions office won't be busy.

thestradgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 10:04:22 AM »
I bet the admissions office won't be busy.

:(

A lot of ppl seem to have combined their answers for Osgoode. I am thinking about combining mine but it is super boring. I WANNA KILL MYSELF !!!! ARRGHHH!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
Send in something interesting. You have a good background and solid stats. UofT wants to build a class like any other law school. Don't be boring, especially if you are not.

If you have a PS for an american school, modify it slightly to include a bit about why you want to go into law. I can only assume that this is possible.

thestradgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:13:30 AM »
:D
Yeah. It should be possible.
Kay I am signing off. Will immerge with something in 3 hours.
And then
I AM GONNA BE DONE!!!

So you haven't submitted yours yet?

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 10:16:14 AM »
nope, but I have unresolved financial concerns.

I want to submit late, but I am worried about potential problems. I may have to suck it up and live on raman for the next few months.

I really want to know stats on late applications and their relative success. I should start a post.

thestradgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 10:20:54 AM »
nope, but I have unresolved financial concerns.

I want to submit late, but I am worried about potential problems. I may have to suck it up and live on raman for the next few months.

I really want to know stats on late applications and their relative success. I should start a post.

well from the tone of the info they provide on the U of T web site, it seems like they are pretty understanding as long as you give them a valid reason. Have you called them? You should.. and when you do, you can ask them my PS question too. :o
sorry.
But I think it should be okay if you can prove to them why you are late applying. There was at least one person who was accepted in August or something into U of T last year so I'm sure they keep some spots open. Besides stuff gets delivered to them from the OLSAS only around December because of the inefficency of the OLSAS anyway.