Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do I cancel the LSAT?  (Read 9521 times)

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How do I cancel the LSAT?
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2004, 01:22:09 PM »
All right I just can't stop myself.

Gravity has laws, not theories.  The laws of gravity (or physics for that matter) can be proven through defined, controlled experiments - like the kind some of us did in high-school  The laws break down under extreme conditions such as event horizons of black holes.

Evolution has theories.  There has not been a defined path from man's origins to the present day (at least not one that is universally accepted).  There are theories surrounding the 'missing link' but none have been proven.  Nor has any local mad scientist evolved a tadpole into a bipedal creature to prove the theories.

The laws of physics cannot be broken (so far).  They are as true for me as they are of you.  I can predict the behavior of an object subject to the laws of physics with equations.  I cannot predict the behavior of evolution.  If you tell me it's random, you're wrong, it's just based upon an unmanageable set of variables.

noell.sweet

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2004, 01:37:58 PM »
Gravity is only a theory?!  Holy *&^%!, what happens if I don't believe in gravity?!?!?!  LOL.  Will I float?!

Ummmm, I thought that gravity was a law, because well, there's strong evidence that gravity exists. LOL.  Evolution, on the other hand is a theory, because not everyone believes in evolution.  However, I do think everyone believes in gravity ...  ;)

Evolution and gravity are both theories.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2004, 01:52:09 PM »
Gotta love science for using "theory" to describe something proven.  Ha ha.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2004, 03:11:43 PM »
It is all in the details. If by Gravity being a proven Law you mean that an apple will fall down off a tree growing in the soil of our planet, then at a certain level of detail you are correct. But at other levels of detail, you are not. Physicists have a lot of fun trying to ascertain exactly how it is that Gravity works, and whether all particles participate in the same pattern regardless of place or time. So in that sense, the Law of Gravity is a theory that is handy to explain how things happen.

The Theory of Evolution presents a similar problem... at a certain level of detail it is undeniable that change occurs and that these changes together create unique adaptations and manifestations which over time give some advantages to particular individuals within a population. However, at a broader level, the description and application of this theory to the particulars of biology across multiple forms of life contains many aspects yet to be discovered, expressed, and proven. Sometimes people use sound-bites to express themselves, when they shouldn't.

But this is still a train-wreck, and I can't believe I stopped to rubberneck.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2004, 03:19:51 PM »
But this is still a train-wreck, and I can't believe I stopped to rubberneck.

You feel unclean now don't you?

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2004, 01:56:51 AM »
TDPookie, Desmo, Noell...

Ugh.  That's all I have to say.  I guess I might being harsh, but come on, this stuff is in the first chapter of many university texts:

a) You can't prove anything in science...it is an inductive process in terms of testing.  Science is about disproving theories and revision. 
b) You can formulate theorems in gravity because of the laws of the objects, the theory still explains it.
c) Scientists do not use the word theory for things that are proven, because gravity is not proven.  Gravity is the EXPLANATION for the motion of bodies...and it is a theory.

Rocky has it right.

Matt

M2

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2004, 02:09:20 AM »
Matt...

What makes you think that everyone takes the same classes as you?

I could discuss Finite Automata with you and be like "ggeeeezzz Matt!! this was in chapter one of my  computer theory book!!!"
Something being in the first chapter of one of YOUR texbooks in YOUR area of study does not excuse your behaviour.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2004, 02:21:49 AM »
Sorry.  I'm under the assumption that most undergrads have taken some science or arts courses that deals with scientific data. 

Matt

M2

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2004, 02:26:04 AM »
Matt...Dont play dumb

You were citing examples from BIOLOGY, Genetics...etc....
Not all of us have taken this stuff. ;)

let me guess...you are a Bio major?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2004, 02:45:12 AM »
Matt...

What makes you think that everyone takes the same classes as you?

I could discuss Finite Automata with you and be like "ggeeeezzz Matt!! this was in chapter one of my  computer theory book!!!"
Something being in the first chapter of one of YOUR texbooks in YOUR area of study does not excuse your behaviour.

And after that lovely discussion, I'll start talking about the intricacies of Latin grammar.  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?