Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do I cancel the LSAT?  (Read 9571 times)

Matthew_24_24

Re: How do I cancel the LSAT?
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2004, 11:02:15 PM »
I could be a piss ant and inform you that evolution occurs every passing generation...but to answer what you are REALLY asking...yes, evolution can act in 1 generation if the environment stimuli is significant. You can wipe out one characteristic in one generation.

However, I did not offer the centuries of the slave trade alone.  I added it to thousands of years (and hundreds of generations) of general living conditions.

Matt

M2

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2004, 11:27:05 PM »
Evolution does not occur over a single generation.
A random mutation could occur in one generation but this in itself is not evolution.

Evolution is not some sort of intelligent force, it is based on RANDOM genetic mutation.

This is a common misunderstanding and it seems like you are subscribing to it.
Did you somehow think that the human body causes its own mutations in order to combat this extraordinary stimulus? This isn't even close to what happens...

Evolution is stupid (as in non-intelligent), which is why it takes so long to happen.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2004, 12:13:07 AM »
M2: 

Helena Curtis and N. Sue Barnes, Biology, 5th ed:

Evolution can be precisely defined as any change in the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next.

Evolution is not based on random genetic mutations M2.  Evolution is a change in the gene pool of a population over time. A gene is a hereditary unit that can be passed on unaltered for many generations, or can disappear in one passing generation to another.

How can this happen?  It can happen through genetic mutation, but it can also happen as a result of:

a) natural selection
b) sexual selection
c) genetic drift
d) recombination
e) Gene flow

Genetic mutations are but a small part of how alleles in a gene pool are sorted through.  Mutations are just one mechanism of modern evolutionary theory.    However, since you think evolution is based on genetic mutation alone, no wonder you find the idea of evolution over a couple generations silly.  I would to.  In grade 6. 

Evolution is stupid, but despite being a process with no intelligent guiding force it can make an impact quickly on a gene pool of a population.

Take a seat son,

Matt

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2004, 04:31:31 AM »
Judicial notice=common knowledge=can't be disputed.  No need to prove.

It's like proving evolution and gravity, they are both still theories, but all of us (I hope) know both to be true. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

M2

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2004, 11:21:50 AM »
Judicial notice=common knowledge=can't be disputed.  No need to prove.

It's like proving evolution and gravity, they are both still theories, but all of us (I hope) know both to be true. 

uhm.... there is the LAW of gravity, and the THEORY of evolution.
Get it straight...

Evolution is still a theory and I dont know that it is true

There is a reason why two different terms are used... they are not equivalent

M2

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2004, 11:33:42 AM »
First of all I absolutely love the condescending attitude, its a mark of true immaturity.

M2: 

Helena Curtis and N. Sue Barnes, Biology, 5th ed:
I think its great that you have a biology textbook in front of you... It makes a whole lot of sense to quote from a biology textbook wwhen speaking to someone that probably hasn't taken much biology. I guess its common knowledge what  alleles is/are?

I just searched through the archives to see if you spoke to other LSDers in a dimunitive fashion... Yeh looks like you like to speak like this to everyoen that doesn't agree with you.

I would love to debate you on this, but I have come to realize that speaking to individuals like yourself just makes me VERY angry. its a waste of time and energy.  Your insults do nothing but show everyone who YOU really are.

I would to.  In grade 6. 

Matt was grade 6 last year? because you are acting like you are still in middleschool.
No wait. you said
I wrote better in grade seven.

in the "black Law school discussion board", so you must be in 8th now?

Take a seat son,

Matt

sigh...
 ::)

Good luck, because with that attitude you are really gonna need it

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2004, 12:04:39 PM »
Evolution and gravity are both theories.  Theories in science are:

"well-substantiated explanations of the data set".

Theories are made up of laws, facts, and inferences.  They give explanation to empirical evidence.  A law by itself has no explanative power whatsoever. Laws are simply facts that can be expressed in mathematical form and are highly regularized physical phenomenon.

The law of gravity simply explains the motion of two bodies of differing masses. 
Evolution is simply changes in the alleles of a gene pool.

The theory of gravity explains this motion.(an unseen force)
The theory of evolution explains what biological evolution does over time. (Gives explanation for all organisms through common descent)

Swifty was correct.  M2: That is science lesson #2.  We can continue if you wish after im home from school.

Matt

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2004, 12:12:15 PM »
Am I the only one who is morbidly fascinated with this thread?  It's like rubber necking at a horrible car accident.  Nothing good is coming out of it, but you just can't look away.

That's what I meant by the train wreck comment.  You just know it's wrong, but...

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2004, 12:23:28 PM »
Back to an old question from swifty regarding the dead bookie remark - it was made in reference to Jimmy the Greek and his ill-fated comment made on CBS in 1988.  I was considering The Greek a bookie due to his shady history in odds-making and gambling.  Bobby Kennedy went after him in '62 and fined him for giving odds over the phone and then shut down his Vegas operation.  I don't consider his comment made - "During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his big black with his big woman so that he would have a big black kid–that's where it all started." to be evidence in support of your point.  Hope this answers you question without adding fuel to the fire - I'll save that for another post.

Desmo

M2

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2004, 01:01:38 PM »
Evolution and gravity are both theories.  Theories in science are:

"well-substantiated explanations of the data set".

Theories are made up of laws, facts, and inferences.  They give explanation to empirical evidence.  A law by itself has no explanative power whatsoever. Laws are simply facts that can be expressed in mathematical form and are highly regularized physical phenomenon.

The law of gravity simply explains the motion of two bodies of differing masses. 
Evolution is simply changes in the alleles of a gene pool.

The theory of gravity explains this motion.(an unseen force)
The theory of evolution explains what biological evolution does over time. (Gives explanation for all organisms through common descent)

Swifty was correct.  M2: That is science lesson #2.  We can continue if you wish after im home from school.

Matt

Matt I have no problem with you correcting me... the problem i have is the way that you do it.
Have you ever thought that people may be more responsive to you if you treated them in a nicer way?

You earned a killfile my friend... if only LSD had the feature.