Law School Discussion

S.P.L.I.G..Spineless Liberal Ignorance...and NO plan.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
S.P.L.I.G..Spineless Liberal Ignorance...and NO plan.
« on: October 31, 2006, 09:46:24 PM »
Puzzled by the `Kurdish question'
October 31, 2006

Re "No easy answer to 'Kurdish question,' " Oct. 27

Am I the only one who is mystified why the Kurdish question seems so far off liberals' radar screens? How is it that the Kurds, an ethnically distinct people with their unique history, language, customs and cuisine, living in their own ancestral territory, are universally denied the right to nationalist aspirations?

Palestinians, an Arab population that is culturally, linguistically and in every other way undifferentiated from its neighbors in Syria, Jordan and Lebanon, and who have never had any tradition of independence or self-government, are the darlings of the liberal community. Could it be that it is much easier to beat up on Israel than it is to confront Turkey, Iran, Syria and Iraq to demand that they give up the Kurdish homeland and let a truly deserving people achieve independence?

LASZLO REGOS

guyminuslife

Re: S.P.L.I.G......Spineless Liberal Ignorance...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:25:23 AM »
Lol. Kurdistan would be nice, but I'm sure commanding other sovereign nations to abandon large tracts of land would go over real well. While we're at it, why don't we demand that that they change their government to be more U.S. friendly and that they cede their autonomy over to a hegemonic world government?

And if they say no, it's definitely worth getting into another war over.

I think we've seen pretty well what the consequences are of redrawing borders and carving out new countries have been in the Middle East.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
Re: S.P.L.I.G.Spineless Liberal Ignorance...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:52:30 AM »
Lol. Kurdistan would be nice, but I'm sure commanding other sovereign nations to abandon large tracts of land would go over real well. While we're at it, why don't we demand that that they change their government to be more U.S. friendly and that they cede their autonomy over to a hegemonic world government?

And if they say no, it's definitely worth getting into another war over.

I think we've seen pretty well what the consequences are of redrawing borders and carving out new countries have been in the Middle East.

there is really not a "would be nice"...it is happening...present tense...it "should be nice"...redrawing?

"How is it that the Kurds, an ethnically distinct people with their unique history, language, customs and cuisine, living in their own ancestral territory,"

what is missing...fill in the blank...a liberal mentality...

get into another war??? how about diplomacy?

guyminuslife

Re: S.P.L.I.G..Spineless Liberal Ignorance...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:09:50 AM »
Well if the gears are in motion, by all means let them continue.

However, you would be hard-pressed to diplomatically convince anyone to give up territory anywhere. Let's talk about Basque and Chechen secession. I think we should just talk to Spain and Russia and say, hey, these people have a distinct cultural heritage, you should stop governing over there. Why hasn't anyone ever thought about that? How come the Union got so angry when the Confederate states seceded?

Only going to happen if the countries really want to give up their authority in the first place and want an excuse to back down without losing face.

I don't see what any of this has to do with liberalism.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 12:34:57 PM »
bluecoward live in own little imaginary turdistan with goat-girl wanda.

what you seeing dementia caused by excessive masturbation while viewing posters of male private part cheney with vice-presidential shirt off.

guyminuslife

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 01:08:17 PM »
You're so bizarre, Julie. It's great.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:15:05 PM »
take lots of practice, big boy.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 07:05:47 PM »
Well if the gears are in motion, by all means let them continue.

However, you would be hard-pressed to diplomatically convince anyone to give up territory anywhere. Let's talk about Basque and Chechen secession. I think we should just talk to Spain and Russia and say, hey, these people have a distinct cultural heritage, you should stop governing over there. Why hasn't anyone ever thought about that? How come the Union got so angry when the Confederate states seceded?

Only going to happen if the countries really want to give up their authority in the first place and want an excuse to back down without losing face.

I don't see what any of this has to do with liberalism.

check your sources...this would be giving an autonomous region and people due sovereignty 
and respect...different than secession...

also liberals and liberalism generally support oppressed peoples and human rights issues...so the kurds should be on their radar...however they are not.  perhaps educated liberals believe that focus on the kurdish region would show genuine success in the iraq conflict...something many liberals fear...

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 07:11:27 PM »
buster now you just like kerry...anti-troop mentality...

wow...should have listened to me and apologize. ;)

bluewarrior saw that one coming.

guyminuslife

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 08:05:04 PM »
Straw man liberal. I'm Liberal McLiberalpants and I'd like to see an autonomous Kurdistan if it's feasible. Again, this has nothing to do with liberalism.

But "check your sources...this would be giving an autonomous region and people due sovereignty
and respect...different than secession..." is an incoherent statement.  The only difference between "due sovereignty" and "secession" is the normative implication. "Secession" is a more neutral term, in any case. "Sources" have nothing to do with it.

In any case, you need to be a more forceful troll. Like, be zanier. It's more entertaining that way.