Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law School  (Read 1894 times)

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
Re: New York Law School
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 03:00:38 PM »
Dude, relax, take a deep breath. I said I was not trying to make a point.  I know of this one person, I and told what I knew. Maybe we should incorporate some sort of censure to ban comments like that? ::)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »
Well, I think it helps to put things in perspective by being able to offer anecdotal evidence that would help the OP. As I said in my post, and as I'm sure most other posters who said "I know someone who blah blah" meant, this is not the rule but it is definitely possible.  The point is simply that if you make the most of wherever you go, it's really not the end of the world. I think it is very helpful to have anecdotal evidence to counter the usual grim assessments that people provide without sometimes having firsthand knowledge.

guyminuslife

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 03:06:46 PM »
The rule is the statistical evidence, which has been provided and can be looked at in more detail on LSAC.

Anecdotal evidence has its place when taken in context of the numbers. It shows what's *possible.*

younghova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 03:34:44 PM »
everyone seems to focus on the short term (with debt, that's understandable).

but what about longterm stats. 

are some grads, 25 years out, still making 50 thousand (that's what I'd be stressed about).  or do they all eventually attain a 80-100 k salary. 

guyminuslife

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 03:39:05 PM »
Too bad we don't have stats on that. I'm sure some of them don't get anywhere, some of them do.

Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who told you to put the balm on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 07:52:08 PM »
i am thinking of applying there but 38k scares me a lot....i am going to get a ton of finacial aid but i dont want to be paying a lot of money for it....doesnt seem like a top choice for me neither does hofstra because i go here and dont hear a lot of good things about it to be honest

RenaldoBalkman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 08:23:45 AM »
I am not trying to prove anything here (I couldn't care less), but I know a girl who graduated last year, spent half a yr doing nothing, and then got a $80K job at one of the accounting firms doing tax law.  She was proud of passing the bar on her first try (which is quite an accomplishment for NYLS, I hear). HTH.

Is anyone else sick of hearing this type of argument?  "But my friend graduated from <insert crappy T4 school here>, and he/she got a job at a big firm making big money!"  You should be concerned with the rule, not the exception, and when it comes to +150K in loans there is no way I would bet on the exception.  Would you pay 150K for any investment knowing there was a <10% chance that it would pay off (i.e. top >10% of your class)?

For future threads of this type, let's set some ground rules:
1)  Of course, "Law school is what you make of it!"
2)  "It is possible to succed no matter where you graduate from."
3)  "you have a shot if are in the top 10%"
4)  and my favorite "I know someone who blah, blah, blah..."

I don't mean to crush dreams, rain on parades, or crap on your birthday cake, but how many times do we have to hear this stuff?

Amen!  Sick of people giving anecdotal evidence about some random crap school.  Especially, when their story flies against conventional wisdom and realistic expectations. 

bboyspekz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, that is me in Union Sq, NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 03:48:04 PM »
wow a lot of negativity in here!!

First off, NYLS is not garbage contrary to some LSD elitist's beliefs...it's better than alot of other accredited law schools...just do your research. The only legitimate bashing is the tuition not matching its ranking class. NYLS is a decent law school if you want to practice law in NY. I have not heard of any lawyer say otherwise when giving their honest candid opinion. Now if you make a better school then NYLS...common sense and rankings says take that instead. If not, it's not as big a deal as the majority of posters make it sound. Odds are you will have some type of good networking done and/or you will be in the top 10 of your class....which as people are tired of hearing, will help put you into biglaw if you so desire.

Best of luck!!

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 04:14:28 PM »
thanks steve.jd

<3

the only reason i asked is bc i recently went to my UG instituion's 'pre-professional advisor' and she gave me all the stats on law school applicants from my school last year.  reading these boards pretty religiously, i had an idea of what NYLS was like.  seeing as my UG is elite liberal arts, i was surprised to see that 4 students from my UG actually matriculated there. 

Uhh yeah, UG pre-prof advisors are generally not very helpful.  Mine told me I should strongly look at "Seton Hall" and "Franklin Pierce."  She told me this was because I am from NJ therefore Seton Hall is a good choice, and I was an engineer so "Franklin Pierce provides a solid IP program."

Umm, right....

What's wrong with Seton Hall, exactly? I've heard that it has a pretty solid reputation. It's definitely not comparable with Franklin Pierce at all.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 05:14:59 PM »
wow a lot of negativity in here!!

First off, NYLS is not garbage contrary to some LSD elitist's beliefs...it's better than alot of other accredited law schools...just do your research. The only legitimate bashing is the tuition not matching its ranking class. NYLS is a decent law school if you want to practice law in NY. I have not heard of any lawyer say otherwise when giving their honest candid opinion. Now if you make a better school then NYLS...common sense and rankings says take that instead. If not, it's not as big a deal as the majority of posters make it sound. Odds are you will have some type of good networking done and/or you will be in the top 10 of your class....which as people are tired of hearing, will help put you into biglaw if you so desire.

Best of luck!!

Umm why where do I start...

1. "Odds are you will have some type of good networking done and/or you will be in the top 10 of your class.." - okay well only 10% are in the top 10% of their class  ::) ::) and there aren't exactly a slew of NYLS alumni in great positions just serving up fantastic jobs to all who come in their line of sight.

2.  Not even top 10% will get you biglaw at NYLS...it might but even then its unlikely..

3.  "Its better than a lot of other accredited law schools" - this statement is meaningless...its like saying well making 20k/yr is better than a lot of other people...sure but it still sucks...

4.  NYLS is a horrible school if you want to practice law in NYC - although it does better in NYC than anywhere else...thats not because its a decent school for NYC though, its because the school name travels about as far as you can throw a basketball.

5.  The worst part of this place, and something (to your credit) you sort of admit, is that not only will you likely graduate with a job that pays 25-40k, but your 150+k in loans (with no loan protection program) will bring you down to reality real quick.

HLS '09