Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law School  (Read 1843 times)

jd11

• View Profile
New York Law School
« on: October 31, 2006, 10:37:49 PM »
is it worth it to even apply, let alone attend?

anybody know NYLS salary stats?

...i am getting nervous that no one else will take me

2.8/161...prob gonna do PT apps at all NY schools except for SJU/NYLS

advice?

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: New York Law School
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »
is it worth it to even apply, let alone attend?

anybody know NYLS salary stats?

...i am getting nervous that no one else will take me

2.8/161...prob gonna do PT apps at all NY schools except for SJU/NYLS

advice?

There is a huge long thread on this school that I can dig up for you this weekend if you ask again, but to sum up:

Avoid NYLS like the plague - it is a horrible place where by all accounts even few get jobs related to law at all, and even fewer get something that isn't contract attorney work or temp work.  They charge as much as any other law school, with 150k+ debt and a salary of 30-40k in NYC if you are lucky enough to find work at all is not a good spot to be in.  Their facilities, and course offerings are also unimpressive.  Everything about this school is bad - avoid it.

On the plus side, 2.8/161 should do better than this without much difficulty.  Good luck.
HLS '09

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 10:48:43 PM »
I am not trying to prove anything here (I couldn't care less), but I know a girl who graduated last year, spent half a yr doing nothing, and then got a $80K job at one of the accounting firms doing tax law.  She was proud of passing the bar on her first try (which is quite an accomplishment for NYLS, I hear). HTH.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 10:54:05 PM »
I am not trying to prove anything here (I couldn't care less), but I know a girl who graduated last year, spent half a yr doing nothing, and then got a $80K job at one of the accounting firms doing tax law.  She was proud of passing the bar on her first try (which is quite an accomplishment for NYLS, I hear). HTH.

She was lucky.
HLS '09

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:57:40 PM »
My friend's sister went there, placed well, and is now doing the ever-so-desired "BIGLAW" for 125K+ a year.

Law school, like college, and everything else in life, is what you make of it. To me, NYLS is absurdly overpriced. I think it is 38K+ a year. I think you can get into SJU, Brooklyn, Cardozo, maybe not full time but nearly certainly part time at at least one, same for Jersey schools. Maybe try Hofstra for FT. I think any of those have a better reputation than NYLS, are more affordable and more generous with scholarship $$, and will get you a better job and prepare you better for the bar.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 11:01:37 PM »
My friend's sister went there, placed well, and is now doing the ever-so-desired "BIGLAW" for 125K+ a year.

Law school, like college, and everything else in life, is what you make of it. To me, NYLS is absurdly overpriced. I think it is 38K+ a year. I think you can get into SJU, Brooklyn, Cardozo, maybe not full time but nearly certainly part time at at least one, same for Jersey schools. Maybe try Hofstra for FT. I think any of those have a better reputation than NYLS, are more affordable and more generous with scholarship $$, and will get you a better job and prepare you better for the bar.

BIGLAW pays 145k+ a year.  38k+ is just tuition - cost of living near NYLS is atrocious.  NYLS has the worst reputation of any law school in NYC (there are 8 I think), and the reputation of NYLS in other markets is horrific. 

Was your friend's sister first in her class or well connected to begin with?
HLS '09

jd11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 11:01:53 PM »
thanks steve.jd

<3

the only reason i asked is bc i recently went to my UG instituion's 'pre-professional advisor' and she gave me all the stats on law school applicants from my school last year.  reading these boards pretty religiously, i had an idea of what NYLS was like.  seeing as my UG is elite liberal arts, i was surprised to see that 4 students from my UG actually matriculated there. 

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 11:11:48 PM »
thanks steve.jd

<3

the only reason i asked is bc i recently went to my UG instituion's 'pre-professional advisor' and she gave me all the stats on law school applicants from my school last year.  reading these boards pretty religiously, i had an idea of what NYLS was like.  seeing as my UG is elite liberal arts, i was surprised to see that 4 students from my UG actually matriculated there. 

Uhh yeah, UG pre-prof advisors are generally not very helpful.  Mine told me I should strongly look at "Seton Hall" and "Franklin Pierce."  She told me this was because I am from NJ therefore Seton Hall is a good choice, and I was an engineer so "Franklin Pierce provides a solid IP program."

Umm, right....
HLS '09

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 12:43:25 AM »
She had no connections. I'm not a big fan of NYLS, but I think it's possible to succeed even at a T3, but the OP is definetly good numerically for many T2s.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 12:59:48 AM »
She had no connections. I'm not a big fan of NYLS, but I think it's possible to succeed even at a T3, but the OP is definetly good numerically for many T2s.

NYLS is a T4
HLS '09