Law School Discussion

Some advice, please

Some advice, please
« on: October 31, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to the boards and have really gained a lot from reading all your opinions/experiences! I am writing to ask for a bit of advice.  I'm a former Wolverine (Go Blue!) who had an okay GPA in UG (~3.4) and was accepted into TFA (Teach for America) after graduation. I've been teaching for the past 4 years. I got my MA from ASU in Curriculum and Design where my GPA was 3.8 but I've read on here that graduate GPA's don't count for much due to overinflation. I'm generally not a great test taker and have scored in the low 160's on practice LSATs.  So here's the deal:

I'm married and would like to find a law school where I can maintain some remnant of a regular life but still have plenty of offers when I graduate. I'm really interested in Duke and UVA but have also been looking at UWashington but I'm wondering if my stats are going to be competitive enough (assuming I don't skyrocket my score on the real LSAT). I'm not looking to apply till next year so I still have lots of time to prep but I want to get an idea now of where I should realistically be looking at.

Also, ASU and U of A (Arizona) would be the chepest options for me since I am an AZ resident and TFA has deals with them that allow for scholarships for TFA alum. But I'm concerned about the job market graduating from those schools...

Any ideas/thoughts? I appreciate anything!  :)