Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: $$ choices....  (Read 799 times)

xonkdt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
$$ choices....
« on: October 31, 2006, 05:00:08 PM »

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
Re: $$ choices....
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »
go for broke and worry about repaying when the time comes. 

Yoda, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bringing Sweet Forcelike Justice Beginning '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 07:06:13 PM »
I know someone personally who went to a school in the middle of T1 and wishes he would have gone to a lower ranked school because he believes he would have been ranked higher in those classes.

Just as likely he could have ranked in the same place in a tier 2. Then his situation would have been all the worse.
Have you ever considered the practical benefits of force lightning at a barbecue?

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 07:37:48 PM »
go for broke and worry about repaying when the time comes. 

Um i dunno.  I think this is a very complex decision with no clear cut answer.  One of the staff attorneys (yes, not an associate, he makes less than 70k/yr) graduated from GWU and has 170k in debt.  He is basically paying rent, food, car insurance, and school debt.

Debt is something that u should deff think about, 150k+ ia a scary amount of money.  Nothing to scoff at, esp if u have UG debt.
Princeton Law 2010

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 07:59:34 PM »
Yah debt scares me especially since i have so much UG debt. I would still like to be able to attain a high starting salary even if I am a median student. The Tier 2 schools I might get money from have average starting salaries of around 85k (private practice) or less, while the tier 1s are 90k - 125k depending on location. See, my original plan was to get money from a Tier 1, but clearly I f-ed up on the LSAT and thus my decision to retake.

Oh yah my family is dirt poor so I would hopefully qualify for a good amount of FA...does anyone know how much Tier 1 schools give and would it hurt if I apply after I recieve my Dec. score?

First of all, schools expect that you'll take out the full amount of Stafford loans, and you may also qualify for the Perkins loan. You may be able to receive a grant to cover the rest, but lots of schools don't really have much need-based money to give out. There are quite a few generous schools at the bottom half of the T1 though- like IU-B, for example. If you can get your LSAT up to a 165+ (assuming they don't average), you'd be in a good position to get the dean's scholarship, which would give you in-state equivalency. There are also other state schools that are pretty cheap and allow you to get in-state after a year. That's going to be your best bet to get a less expensive T1 education.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 09:44:12 PM »
Yah debt scares me especially since i have so much UG debt. I would still like to be able to attain a high starting salary even if I am a median student. The Tier 2 schools I might get money from have average starting salaries of around 85k (private practice) or less, while the tier 1s are 90k - 125k depending on location. See, my original plan was to get money from a Tier 1, but clearly I f-ed up on the LSAT and thus my decision to retake.

Oh yah my family is dirt poor so I would hopefully qualify for a good amount of FA...does anyone know how much Tier 1 schools give and would it hurt if I apply after I recieve my Dec. score?

if a higher salary is what you are after, you have to go to teir one.  firms that pay big are prestige hors

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 10:22:52 PM »
I would trade rank for $$$ within a given tier, but I doubt that I'd do so across tiers unless the money was extremely substantial and the school was in the geographic area in which I knew I wished to practice.

Keep in mind that there have been reports (Pepperdine springs to mind) of schools who stack their classes so that many of their scholarship recipients are in a given section.  This means that the curve guarantees a portion of them will become ineligible for continued scholarship money due to their lack of proper achievement.  I'm not sure how pervasive this practice may be (or whether the claims I'm basing this on were factual), but I see no reason to think that schools wouldn't realize the benefit of this type of gaming and utilize it to their advantage.

Short story: don't be too quick to leap.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 10:40:36 PM »
Here is how you should go about this:

1. Go to T14 if you can regardless of money
2. Go to either T25 with no money or Tier 1 with money (if that tier 1 is in the geographic location where you want to practice)
3. Go to Tier 1 with no money, or Tier 2 with money (if that tier 2 is in the geographic location AND does well where you want to practice)

All else equal, always go to the best school you can get into.
HLS '09

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 10:40:57 PM »
Is it worth it to go to a Tier 2 with a full scholarship rather than a low to mid tier 1 full price if you are coming out of Ugrad with a lot of debt but still want to maximize future earning potential?

Is there anyone in that situation that regret/do not regret their choice and would like to comment?

depends...if it is a tier2 in the region you want to live and work, and they place well, it may be a good move

/just sayin'