Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Filipino a URM? This might surprise you!  (Read 4785 times)

salamyen

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Salamyenew
    • View Profile
    • Email
Filipino a URM? This might surprise you!
« on: October 30, 2006, 08:58:13 PM »
I knew that asians were not considered URM. But I was looking at UCLA's business school with my girlfriend and we saw this...

"Underrepresented Minorities includes domestic students identified as American Indian/Native American, African American/Black, Mexican American/Chicano, Latino/Other Hispanic, and Filipino."

If they count it for business school, I would assume they count that for law school as well. This is great because my girlfriend is filipina. Anyways, let me know what everyone thinks.

tzip

Re: Filipino a URM? This might surprise you!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 09:42:27 PM »
I challenge you a mighty challenge, my friend: start 5 original threads that do not deal with/touch on/or mention URM status....Succeed, and you have my short-lived respect.  Fail, and your under-represented soul will be mine. MUUUUHAHAHAH!

Yours truly,
White man.

salamyen

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Salamyenew
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:24:03 PM »
anyone with real feedback?

laalohi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 02:51:07 PM »
I knew that asians were not considered URM. But I was looking at UCLA's business school with my girlfriend and we saw this...

"Underrepresented Minorities includes domestic students identified as American Indian/Native American, African American/Black, Mexican American/Chicano, Latino/Other Hispanic, and Filipino."

If they count it for business school, I would assume they count that for law school as well. This is great because my girlfriend is filipina. Anyways, let me know what everyone thinks.

filipinos are urm's-- not just for law schools but for any higher education system (including undergraduate, graduate, etc) and especially in the legal profession. filipinos are clearly underrepresented. btw- i am filipina.

Osmosis1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 03:27:09 PM »
I am a non-trad Filipina and I have been checking with the ABA schools here in Northern CA. I have found that all of the law schools here do not give preference to Asians noted in the traditional sense like Japanese and Chinese. I don't know where they stand with Koreans.

However, when I spoke with an adcomm, they said that by their definition Native Americans, Hispanics and Black are considered URMs. Moreover, they will give preference in terms of "diversity" to those that are labeled Pacific Islanders such as Hawaiians, Tongans, Malaysians and Filipinos.

Glad to know there are some Pinay's on this board!!

mrshello

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
I am a non-trad Filipina and I have been checking with the ABA schools here in Northern CA. I have found that all of the law schools here do not give preference to Asians noted in the traditional sense like Japanese and Chinese. I don't know where they stand with Koreans.

However, when I spoke with an adcomm, they said that by their definition Native Americans, Hispanics and Black are considered URMs. Moreover, they will give preference in terms of "diversity" to those that are labeled Pacific Islanders such as Hawaiians, Tongans, Malaysians and Filipinos.

Glad to know there are some Pinay's on this board!!

Good to know this!!! I, a non-traditional Filipina (from the Philippines and moved here after HS and received 2 master's degrees!) might have to peruse this.

Thanks for this post.