« on: October 30, 2006, 12:41:43 AM »

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Re: George Mason's PS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:50:34 AM »
hahha...seriously???

I should really start actually reading the questions before i go off sending in my applicatoins. o well. i am lame.

appletoon

• The Amazing Doggy Swami
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 08:55:04 AM »
I'm applying to GMU and my PS is only a little over 600 words long, which is great for Mason, but is it too short for other schools?  Am I in trouble?

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 11:26:44 AM »
I'm applying to GMU and my PS is only a little over 600 words long, which is great for Mason, but is it too short for other schools?  Am I in trouble?

A short PS does not indicate a bad PS. Some people can write concisely, other are quite verbose. Being an engineering I have established an ability to write concise essays. This has gotten me into trouble in english classes.

Barney

• 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 08:03:44 AM »
GMU has a statement on their admissions page somewhere that discusses the logic for this. They aren't going to count your words or anything, so don't sweat it if you can't get quite to 500 (I know I was somewhere in the 550-600 range).

That said, I'd recommend giving it a shot. When you start looking at your PS and forcing yourself to make drastic cuts, you may find (as I did) that it starts to seperate the wheat from the chaff. Assume that adcoms everywhere are skimming these things. Wouldn't you rather keep them focused on the most important 500 words?

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 09:36:04 AM »
Mine was 1000. 

Barney

• 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »
I duno man, I hated the way mine sounded when I cut it down. ~1000 words is really not that much at all.

It probably does sound better at a thousand words.  But the overworked adcom who has a thousand of these things on his desk isn't going to read every word (even at non-GMU schools that don't impose a word limit). If you have a point to make, it's better to get it across in 500 words he or she will actually read, rather than risking it getting drown in a thousand that get skimmed. 

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 10:41:30 AM »
if i seriously wanted to attend GM, i'd try to cut mine down from 2 pages.
if GM was a safety, i'd send them the same ps i sent people who wanted 2 pages

/just sayin'

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 11:14:11 AM »
if i seriously wanted to attend GM, i'd try to cut mine down from 2 pages.
if GM was a safety, i'd send them the same ps i sent people who wanted 2 pages

/just sayin'

I concur.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 09:31:58 AM »
you all need to be careful it sounds as if you are all too full of yourselves.  Think about what is truly interesting about you.  They don't care that youcan or did do a million things what they want to know is that you have had some experience that makes you different.  Doing lots of stuff does not make you unique.  What you want to do is demonstrate an ability to be concise and interesting at the same time.  Briefing law cases does not require that you be verbous. So if you are one of those people with two paragraphs about your childhood ask yourself how does that matter to the admissions board, and does it really comment on how I will do in law school.  I'm willing to bet most of it does not.  What matters is what you have done with yourself in these last few years.  And if you really want George Mason it helps if you talk about Econ just a hint hope its not too late.