Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: low ranked now, and transfer vs. wait for higher ranked  (Read 2175 times)

• View Profile
low ranked now, and transfer vs. wait for higher ranked
« on: February 18, 2004, 02:52:58 PM »
this hypothetical has probably been given before, just say you were only accepted to your last choice (lowest ranked school) and denied by all of the other higher ranked schools.  Should I accept the lower rank school and try to transfer later on, or keep waiting until I get into a higher ranked school, knowing that I may not even get into the lower ranked school anymore in the future?  It's assumed that location, price, and scholarship are equal.  And given that the GPA is below the 25 percentile but the LSAT is around or above the 75% of all schools.  Also, been working for 7 years in the computer industry.  U Major was Mathematics from UCLA. 

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
Re: low ranked now, and transfer vs. wait for higher ranked
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 04:02:17 PM »
Are you planning to seek a transfer from a low ranked school into a higher ranked school?  I've come to learn that this rarely works, unless you are at the top of your class and had a great qualifying LSAT to begin with.  Law schools are also overwhelmed with applicants and frankly don't have much incentive to accept transfer students.  It happens, but it is a tough strategy.

I think this ranking game (excluding Yale, Harvard, etc, name-brands that would do well regardless of USNWR rank) is bunk.  I'll give you an example - Gonzaga.  A few years ago this school was allegedly on its way into 1st tier status - today it's tier 4.  In the early 90's I remember ASU being 3rd or 4th tier, now it's 2nd tier.  Will it remain 2nd tier three years from now?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

Pick the school on the basis of what works for you and what each school offers you.  If all you've got going for you is a so-called low-ranked school, you can do one of two things (a) wait another year, improve your LSAT, and try again the following year or (b) take the best of what you've been offered and run with it.

I would choose B, but I'm an old geezer (mid-30's) short on time.  In your case, waiting for your top picks might be the right strategy IF you are comfortable with waiting.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 06:23:33 PM »
I believe that you were referring to your GPA being the lagging precursor to your situation not the LSAT. So my advice is definitely not to wait (since LSAT is weighted on average much more than the GPA is) you most likely being over or in the 75th percentile will be as far as that goes. SO your GPA is what is needed to raise. Other than taking other courses to prove your GPA better than that of your undergrad the only option (in my opinion) is to go for the lower tier and attempt the transfer.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 11:14:30 PM »
Some people say that if you have a low GPA or low LSAT, you can add an extra statement (not your personal statement) which explains the low performance. 

Do you think that is a good idea.  I actually did not write one for my low GPA because I had already sent in my apps before I found this site. 

Here was the situation.  I did have to work my way through school, the department is a top 10 in the nation at UCLA. 

I didn't want to sound like I was giving excuses, because really, the real reason for the low GPA was that it was just hard.  I didn't flake at classes, I didn't really have any activities that took my time away from studying, just work.  I didn't have a great life threatening disease...You get my drift.  Just reasons which most people probably have.   

Just wondering what your thoughts are.  If I should have or not. 

thanks.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 01:33:48 AM »
Writing a letter after the fact is worth a shot. However, since you mentioned that was no mitigating factor that was the reason for the low GPA (other than it was tough and that you had to work) sending a letter now would be rather post_hoc reasoning. Just in case your unfamiliar with that terminology, "post_hoc reasoning" are fallacies that are natural but false human errs that occur "after the fact" in order to explain something that ocurred. Just my opinion. For what it's worth, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain since law school this year is so fiercely competitive, although you are presenting post-hoc reasoning it is still correct to assume that in order to get admitted you need to whatever is in your power to do what has to be done  ;D. So in short, you are explaining away your grades no matter what the letter says if you send one now, but perhaps the strategy would pay off, and they accept this reasoning. Either way GOOD LUCK, you'll be fine.

How bad is your UGPA (you mentioned lower than most if not all schools 25% mark so what does that entail per se? 3.25, 3.0,  2.75....? Just curious and to put things in perspective for me.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 09:07:37 AM »
i don't remember exactly since it's been 7 years, but i would say it's around 2.4.  I know, it's terrible :( and the lowest I've seen on any pre-law school board...

I guess your right though, i don't see it hurting the situation, and at least I'll have peace of mind that I did everything I could, even if I don't get in.