Law School Discussion

HeIp! Identifying conditional relationships

Shocker

• Go Shocks!
    • View Profile
HeIp! Identifying conditional relationships
« on: August 28, 2004, 10:05:01 AM »
I need help identifying conditional relationships.  Can anyone help me see what I should be looking for?

Here are some real LSAT examples.

It is a principle of economics that a nation can experience economic growth only when consumer confidence is balanced with a small amount of consumer skepticism.

Which one of the following is an application of the economic principle above?

A. Any nation in which consumer confidence is balanced with a small amount of consumer confidence will experience economic growth.
B. Any nation in which the prevailing attitude of consumers is not skepticism will experience economic growth.
C. Any nation in which the prevailing attitude of consumers is either exclusively skepticism will experience economic growth.
D. Any nation in which the prevailing attitude of consumers is exclusively confidence will not experience economic growth.
E. Any nation in which consumer skepticism is balanced with a small amount of consumer confidence will experience economic growth.

Drivers with a large number of demerit points who additionally have been convicted of a serious driving-related offense should either be sentenced to jail or be forced to receive driver reeducation, since to do otherwise would be to allow a crime to go unpunished.  Only if such drivers are likely to be made more responsible drivers should driver re-education be recommended for them.  Unfortunately, it is always almost impossible to make drivers with a large number of demerit points with responsible drivers.

If the statements are true, they provide the most support for which of the following?

A. Drivers with a large number of demerit points who have been convicted of a serious driving-related offense should be sent to jail.
B. Driver re-education offers the best chance of making drivers with a large number of demerit points responsible drivers.
C. Driver re-education is not harsh enough punishment for anyone convicted of a serious driving-related offense who has also accumulated a large number of demerit points.
D. Driver re-education should not be recommended for those who have committed no serious driving related offenses.
E. Drivers with a large number of demerit points but no conviction for a serious driving-related offense should receive driver re-education rather than jail.

Victor

Re: HeIp! Identifying conditional relationships
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 10:12:55 AM »
I need help identifying conditional relationships.  Can anyone help me see what I should be looking for?

Here are some real LSAT examples.

It is a principle of economics that a nation can experience economic growth only when consumer confidence is balanced with a small amount of consumer skepticism.

Which one of the following is an application of the economic principle above?

A. Any nation in which consumer confidence is balanced with a small amount of consumer confidence will experience economic growth.
B. Any nation in which the prevailing attitude of consumers is not skepticism will experience economic growth.
C. Any nation in which the prevailing attitude of consumers is either exclusively skepticism will experience economic growth.
D. Any nation in which the prevailing attitude of consumers is exclusively confidence will not experience economic growth.
E. Any nation in which consumer skepticism is balanced with a small amount of consumer confidence will experience economic growth.

The first one is (D) because its the contrapositive of the premises . . . I'll do the second one when I finish my breakfast.

Shocker

• Go Shocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 10:36:49 AM »
Victor,

That's right, but how did you determine the answer.  I have troubles diagramming LR questions.  I initially thought it was:
EG -> CCB and CS   xEGx -> xCCBx or xCSx

But it's probably more like

EG -> CCB     xEGx -> xCCbx

What do you think my problem is?  I can't seem to map or LR questions consistently right.

Victor

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 10:49:36 AM »
Victor,

That's right, but how did you determine the answer.  I have troubles diagramming LR questions.  I initially thought it was:
EG -> CCB and CS   xEGx -> xCCBx or xCSx

But it's probably more like

EG -> CCB     xEGx -> xCCbx

What do you think my problem is?  I can't seem to map or LR questions consistently right.

Thats not the method to doing the contrapositive. That's Mistakened Negation.

You want to do this  . ..

EG -> CCB     =   xCCBx -> xEGx

Shocker

• Go Shocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 10:52:17 AM »
Oops, that's what I meant.  I can't seem to identify what the conditional and necessary parts are.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 01:02:52 PM »
first one: i pick D.

growth ---> consumers balanced (growth is the sufficient condition, and consumers balanced is the neccessary)

~consumers balanced ---> ~growth

answer choice D is the exact same as the contrapositive.

second one: i pick A.

the stimulus is talking about drivers with demerit points who have been convicted.  it says you have to punish them, either by sending them to jail or re-education classes. it then says

re-education ---> likely to be made responsible

so you get the contrapositive:
~likely to be made responsible ---> ~re-education

the next sentence in the stimulus confirms the contrapositive, saying that in fact its pretty much impossible to make them responsible, so re-education cannot be used.

answer A) says exactly this, since they cannot be made responsible, they cannot be re-educated.  and if the are not re-educated, the only other choice given by the stimulus is for them to go to jail.

B) and C) we dont know anything about re-education being "harsh" or the "best"

D) and E) these choices talk about people who have NOT been convicted, a group not even mentioned in the stimulus.