Law School Discussion

PS question!!??

SMO

• View Profile
PS question!!??
« on: October 28, 2006, 08:07:45 PM »
I was planning on writing my PS about my Cherokee heritage. I figure that would be very unique and would really set me apart from the average applicant. Should this statement be more for a diversity letter or would it still be ok for a PS?? I want to just use it as my PS because I think it will give me the best edge. Plus, I know a lot about my family's heritage.

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PS question!!??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:14:11 PM »
I was planning on writing my PS about my Cherokee heritage. I figure that would be very unique and would really set me apart from the average applicant. Should this statement be more for a diversity letter or would it still be ok for a PS?? I want to just use it as my PS because I think it will give me the best edge. Plus, I know a lot about my family's heritage.

That depends on how personal it is... Is it mostly about your family, or does it give real insight into how you think, what kind of person you are?  If not, then it's a questionable topic for a PS.  Honestly, most people probably don't have such a strong DS as you would with this topic, so why not use both?

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PS question!!??
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 11:00:43 PM »
Ok, that is a good idea. But how do I do a PS and a diversity statement?? Do the schools offer one or do I just submit one?? I'm kinda unfamiliar with the process. Thanks!

I think it depends on the school and whether it allows an optional essay in addition to the PS.