Law School Discussion

Poll

Are morals absolute and never changing, or do they change with the times??..   starts on 242

What is moral 1000 yrs ago is moral today and will be moral in another 1000 yrs
6 (21.4%)
Morals can change with the times
20 (71.4%)
Dunno/Other
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

My Thoughts/Rants - Poll: Morals

->Soon

• View Profile
Re: My Thoughts/Rants - Poll: Morals
« Reply #2380 on: January 31, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

Re: My Thoughts/Rants - Poll: Online Hook-Ups
« Reply #2381 on: March 01, 2008, 08:27:42 PM »
3.56 is not that good, and 1800 is equivalent to 1200 on the old scale, which wasn't that great either.  Don't know what this person expected. 

Her rejections are reasonable.
[/quote
This person expected to be treated fairly and was not.

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
Re: My Thoughts/Rants - Poll: Morals
« Reply #2382 on: April 13, 2008, 11:06:34 PM »
Are morals absolute? Maybe moral principles are. Maybe some sort of telos is absolute. But there are too many subjective vs. objective problems to unravel before we can really start answering this question. Also, there is some question begging before we get started, right? I mean the idea of "morals" is some sort of rule or guidepost. Either way, make it utterly transient and it is utterly contradictory. Really, what ppl mean when they ask this is . . . how intellectually honest are you about right and wrong??? IF you're really honest, then I'll call you immoral. IF you're really dishonest, then I'll call you shallow. If you hedge, I'll call you apathetic/a hedge-meister/or an unprincipled air breathing wanderer of the earth.

Truth: nobody knows.

Sometimes, this question is framed in even more brain bending ways, i.e. - is there absolute truth??? yikes