Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Are morals absolute and never changing, or do they change with the times??..   starts on 242

What is moral 1000 yrs ago is moral today and will be moral in another 1000 yrs
 6 (21.4%)
Morals can change with the times
 20 (71.4%)
Dunno/Other
 2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: My Thoughts/Rants - Poll: Morals  (Read 153537 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My Thoughts/Rants - Poll: Age of Consent
« Reply #1980 on: July 17, 2007, 05:45:44 PM »
So you say.

Yep.  I made sure to preface everything with an "I" statement.   :D

I was actually just commenting on "mature" and "well-adjusted." :D

Well, I did say "fairly."  I think I'm diminishing with age

I'll adjust you, SB

Now I'm over 18, so I can handle it.   ;D
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: July 17, 2007, 05:45:50 PM »
What about them? Look, even the way you phrased your question was creepy. You're creepy through and through.
finding someone attractive and banging them are two different things. My point is simply why people feel it's their business even if it doesn't affect them in any way.
I agree with the first part. They are different things and I don't give a whip if you find them attractive so far as you're not doing anything about it.

In the general sense it probably doesn't affect me. In specific circumstances it could. My stake is as a human being giving a *&^% about other human beings--if that's patriarchal so be it.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: July 17, 2007, 05:56:21 PM »
That article would've been great in the libertarian thread.

::shudders::
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: July 17, 2007, 06:05:37 PM »
Girls had cooties til I was in 5th grade... so yea no sex before you turn at least 11.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: July 17, 2007, 06:07:59 PM »
so, for those voting 13 or younger, do you actually mean 13, or younger?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 17, 2007, 06:10:09 PM »

I would have voted twelveteen if it were an option.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: July 17, 2007, 06:13:08 PM »
There are more potential consequences of sex than unintended pregnancy or STDs.  I have no desire to legislate at what age children can have sex (other than situations where age creates a significant power imbalance).  I just wish teenagers thought waiting was a good thing, not because God wants them to, not because sex is a sin, not because it's slutty not to, but because being a bit older is smart.  Because you know yourself, know your body, know your limitations, know how to handle yourself, know what you're looking for better at 18 than at 14.

I mean, at 14 I was barely beginning to kiss boys, and that alone wrought with emotional landmines.  I can't imagine doing anything more at that age, and I was a fairly mature, well-adjusted kid.

I totally taught classes about this to middle schoolers when I was in high school

pfft, you would!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 17, 2007, 06:24:44 PM »
I mean, at 14 I was barely beginning to kiss boys, and that alone wrought with emotional landmines.  I can't imagine doing anything more at that age, and I was a fairly mature, well-adjusted kid.

I see your point, but people are different - and at this age they are very different. I had sex at 14, and I honestly don't regret it for a second. And I was never the guy looking for high fives in the locker room, none of my friends even knew about it. It was the right time for me. For others it isn't, and I fully realize that.

I agree with the first part. They are different things and I don't give a whip if you find them attractive so far as you're not doing anything about it.

In the general sense it probably doesn't affect me. In specific circumstances it could. My stake is as a human being giving a *&^% about other human beings--if that's patriarchal so be it.
Well, no worries, no matter how hot she is, it's not worth the risk as long as its illegal. Still, I 'know' 14 year olds who wouldn't mind learning some from an older guy, I'm not going to volunteer but it's not always like the young one is a victim. I am certainly not advocatin taking advantage of confused and curious younglings.

Girls had cooties til I was in 5th grade... so yea no sex before you turn at least 11.

This is, naturally, undisputable. Cooties suck! From what I hear, Gengis still has cooties.

Well there are several countries where the legal age is 12 and 13, and neither one has plummeted into the abyss of hell due to their sinful decay of morale. Still, it seems too young to me, but it's not my place to judge others (except those I like to argue with).

I totally taught classes about this to middle schoolers when I was in high school

I taught middle school PE (gym?) when I was in high school  ;D

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 17, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »
Hey now.  If I have cooties there are folks lining up to catch them.

Also, I wouldn't go so far as to say "several". Fewer than 10, to be sure.

fewer than 10 people want to catch your cooteries?

sheesh, when you subtract me, myself, and I, that just leaves 7 others!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 17, 2007, 06:36:56 PM »
Gengis, what did I tell you about periods and quotation marks again?!

Given the outbreak in adult cooties, I'd think some of you might start using condoms.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.