Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Are morals absolute and never changing, or do they change with the times??..   starts on 242

What is moral 1000 yrs ago is moral today and will be moral in another 1000 yrs
 6 (21.4%)
Morals can change with the times
 20 (71.4%)
Dunno/Other
 2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: My Thoughts/Rants - Poll: Morals  (Read 156961 times)

Cindy

• View Profile
Re: My Thoughts/Rants - Poll:Rap Music, good or bad
« Reply #610 on: December 19, 2006, 02:08:11 PM »
I'm with Moni on that one

As a midwestern white girl, even I know better than to think that hip hop takes minimal talent.  Sure, there's utter crap out there. But there's some sh*t that is downright awe-inspiring. I can't name names, as I'm barely even a dilettante, but I'm sure there are people around here who could.

I appreciate the lyrical poetry & have heard some good stuff. But...
~Cindy

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 19, 2006, 02:20:40 PM »

As a midwestern white girl, even I know better than to think that hip hop takes minimal talent.  Sure, there's utter crap out there. But there's some sh*t that is downright awe-inspiring. I can't name names, as I'm barely even a dilettante, but I'm sure there are people around here who could.

but you assume that what you hear on the radio represents the essence of hip hop, or you're content to assert an opinion out of ignorance or you're too lazy to dig deeper.  A good portion of popular music in any genre doesn't take too much genre (you don't hear anyone calling Brittany or whoever has taken her place a musical genius), but most people don't say that entire genre doesn't take talent.  This quote from Talib Kweli's blog sums up the difference between the popular artist and the 'real' artist:

I donít make music for the fans. I never have, and god willing I never will. Do I have your attention? Are you offended? Do you understand? Lemme explainÖ. The true music fan respects the artist who is honest with him or herself. The art is the expression..if Iím only expressing things that are of value to you, than Iím not being a true artist. Once I start to do it for the sake of the fans, then I will really fall off and become irrelevant. I will become transparent.. instead of the complaint being, ďit doesnít sound like black starĒ, it will be, ďhe hasnít grown since black star.Ē The honest artist will grow and challenge his audience to follow where he is going, and not the other way around. People who love Be shitted on Electric Circus, but they fail to realize Common had to make Electric Circus to get to Be. It is a process that is easy to criticize if youíve never had to do it. Itís not like Electric was for him and Be was for the audience. They were both made for him. Think about this before you say Iím supposed to make music for the fans. Uhh, no, Iím not. You hear artist who make music for the fans all the time in the media. If someone asks them, why do you only talk about sex violence drugs and jewelry, their stock reply is ďIím making music for the fans, Iím giving people what they want.Ē You look at some of their sales and think, hey maybe theyíre right. Then you come to your senses and be like @#!* that! Iím not that dude. I make music for me, and so do my favorite artists.

http://www.talibkweliblog.com/
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Cindy

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 19, 2006, 02:27:45 PM »

but you assume that what you hear on the radio represents the essence of hip hop, or you're content to assert an opinion out of ignorance or you're too lazy to dig deeper.  A good portion of popular music in any genre doesn't take too much genre (you don't hear anyone calling Brittany or whoever has taken her place a musical genius), but most people don't say that entire genre doesn't take talent.  This quote from Talib Kweli's blog sums up the difference between the popular artist and the 'real' artist:

I donít make music for the fans. I never have, and god willing I never will. Do I have your attention? Are you offended? Do you understand? Lemme explainÖ. The true music fan respects the artist who is honest with him or herself. The art is the expression..if Iím only expressing things that are of value to you, than Iím not being a true artist. Once I start to do it for the sake of the fans, then I will really fall off and become irrelevant. I will become transparent.. instead of the complaint being, ďit doesnít sound like black starĒ, it will be, ďhe hasnít grown since black star.Ē The honest artist will grow and challenge his audience to follow where he is going, and not the other way around. People who love Be shitted on Electric Circus, but they fail to realize Common had to make Electric Circus to get to Be. It is a process that is easy to criticize if youíve never had to do it. Itís not like Electric was for him and Be was for the audience. They were both made for him. Think about this before you say Iím supposed to make music for the fans. Uhh, no, Iím not. You hear artist who make music for the fans all the time in the media. If someone asks them, why do you only talk about sex violence drugs and jewelry, their stock reply is ďIím making music for the fans, Iím giving people what they want.Ē You look at some of their sales and think, hey maybe theyíre right. Then you come to your senses and be like @#!* that! Iím not that dude. I make music for me, and so do my favorite artists.

See, I don't listen to the radio, don't watch MTV, etc. I worked at a club for 2 years, have friends who DJ & spin records, friends who are into underground hip hop, friends who play in rock & roll bands, harcore and metal bands, indie rock bands. Just like any musical genre, what is on the radio or tv is not a true representation. But I find that even i underground hip hop & rap, most of it is talenless drivel, as is a lot of rock music. But at least the rock musicians are creating music on an instrument.
~Cindy

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 19, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »

See, I don't listen to the radio, don't watch MTV, etc. I worked at a club for 2 years, have friends who DJ & spin records, friends who are into underground hip hop, friends who play in rock & roll bands, harcore and metal bands, indie rock bands. Just like any musical genre, what is on the radio or tv is not a true representation. But I find that even i underground hip hop & rap, most of it is talenless drivel, as is a lot of rock music. But at least the rock musicians are creating music on an instrument.

If your final comment is that you have to create music on an instrument or else it's talentless drivel, then I have nothing more to day.  Enjoy life inside your box.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 19, 2006, 04:29:42 PM »
why do the last 30 minutes of the work day just draggggggggggggg?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 20, 2006, 09:59:24 AM »
guys with long girly hair look odd....

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: My Thoughts/Rants - Poll:For the White People...
« Reply #616 on: December 20, 2006, 04:12:26 PM »
New Poll - Diversity

Question:      Would you leave an area if it starts to get to non-white?
No!     - 9
Maybe    - 6
Probably    - 3
Id be the last one out    - 2
Yes, i would    - 5
i would once it reaches a certian %    - 1

reading an article on the LA times about how the huge influx of immigrants is causing alot of the white people to leave.  would you?

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #617 on: December 20, 2006, 04:38:25 PM »
If crime, gangs, murders, and whatnot go up because of this then definitely. If the people moving in are just like the ones that already live around me then no.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 20, 2006, 04:46:11 PM »
sounds like a maybe.

article didnt say much about the crime stuff.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #619 on: December 20, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »
guys with long girly hair look odd....
Guys with long hair are gorgeous.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php