Law School Discussion

Late LOR

wilax3man

• Don't mess with us pal, We're from New York...
    • View Profile
    • LSN! Leave me a message!
    • Email
Late LOR
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:43:29 AM »
I applied about a week ago, and almost all of my schools requested my LSDAS report.  My last LOR just arrived in my LSAC account yesterday.  Immediately it showed that letter being sent to three of my schools, but no additional report seemed to be generated for the rest of the schools.  I thought that the LSDAS automatically forwards letters to the schools you apply to even if your report went out already?  Does it just not show this in my reports section?

Re: Late LOR
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:53:55 AM »
I believe it depends on if you have already met the schools minimum recommendations amount.  So if you have met that requirement they do not automatically send out your recently arrived LOR.  Instead I believe you have to request them to do this.  Call LSAC today to double check though. 

Electric Counterpoint

• Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 01:50:34 PM »
Oh, man...I also thought the late recs. were sent along automatically, so long as you hadn't already reached a school's maximum.  Darn.

So I have to call the law schools and let them know? 

I'll call monday I guess and figure it out, but OP, if you find out for sure what's up with this, please let us know!

Re-read the second post: if you haven't met the school's maximum yet, your letters are sent automatically. LSAC may be Byzantine and all, but they're not actively trying to create more work for themselves.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 05:33:15 PM »
I have a question related to this - what happens if a school receives an additional LOR after you've already gone complete? Do they still add it to your file? At some schools I've gone complete with 2 recs (the 3rd was sent to LSAC later and thus sent out to the schools later). Just curious if anyone knows what happens.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 07:24:16 PM »
I applied about a week ago, and almost all of my schools requested my LSDAS report.  My last LOR just arrived in my LSAC account yesterday.  Immediately it showed that letter being sent to three of my schools, but no additional report seemed to be generated for the rest of the schools.  I thought that the LSDAS automatically forwards letters to the schools you apply to even if your report went out already?  Does it just not show this in my reports section?

Some schools have specific report schedules--they choose to receive new LORs only once a week, once a month, etc. You can check on LSAC under the LOR tab--just click add a school to see the school's particular preferences for receiving additional letters of recommendation.

go.ph.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 08:26:09 AM »
Oh, man...I also thought the late recs. were sent along automatically, so long as you hadn't already reached a school's maximum.  Darn.

I'll call monday I guess and figure it out, but OP, if you find out for sure what's up with this, please let us know!

Re-read the second post: if you haven't met the school's maximum yet, your letters are sent automatically. LSAC may be Byzantine and all, but they're not actively trying to create more work for themselves.

Thanks...that's what I initially thought, but the second post said if you reach the school's minimum the late LORs aren't sent out, which is much different than reaching a school's maximum.

Electric Counterpoint

• Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 08:56:47 AM »

Thanks...that's what I initially thought, but the second post said if you reach the school's minimum the late LORs aren't sent out, which is much different than reaching a school's maximum.

Oh, you're right, I misread it as saying "maximum." Doh!

But! I can confirm, based on my own experience as of today, that at least some schools do request additional letters of their own volition, even if they've already met their minimum.

My second letter was processed last week. I was complete at UMich (they only require 1 LOR), but this morning I see that they've already requested my second letter. Can't say if that's a universal policy, but that's my experience.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
 "One letter of recommendation required and up to four letters accepted.

This law school accepts letters of recommendation when the initial law school report is sent.
Once the initial law school report has been sent, this law school will accept additional LORs when there is new activity such as transcript or score updates.
In addition, this law school accepts updated law school reports with recently received letters of recommendation once per week. These updates are generated on Mondays.  "