The Best Damn RC Thread

bubDread

• View Profile
Re: The Best Damn RC Thread
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 07:32:48 AM »
bump

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 07:46:26 AM »
I guess first, you have to diagnose why you got wrong the ones you did.

For me, the common reasons were:
- Didn't understand the passage
- Couldn't understand the passage (this is different from didn't understand)
- Ran out of time
  - Spent too much time on one question
  - Spent too much time reading passage
  - Spent too much time going back and forth from passage to questions
- Tricked by question stem

I'm sure there were others, but those were the most common.

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 09:27:18 AM »
My powerscore instructor encouraged us to go back and re-read the first paragraph after we finished reading the passage and re-read it until we could remember specifically what was going on in the passage.  This can be a useful tool because a lot of times its easy to forget what was said in the first paragraph and it can also be helpful when answering main point questions (which are usually one of the first questions asked).

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 10:14:05 AM »
I think it was a combination of not understanding one of the passages ( some bull about legal feminist historians and three competing interpretations of women's uproar about equal rights labor laws) and then running out of time.  Considering the two RC sections I did Monday night were -2 and -3, I believe, hopefully this is just a fluke.

seriouslydog

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »
damn fine bump, shannysor. damn fine

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »
I read about some Nova book? What is it and how useful?
I've done every RC question in existence twice and need some new material.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »
Dear RC gurus,

I need advice please.  Today, on the PT from Feb 97, I missed 10 on the RC section.  I usually miss 2-3 on the RC section, so I am pissed off.  I ended up doing well on the other sections and got a 170, which is mediocre for myself, I belive.  Anyways, is there anything you can think of that would cause me to do so poorly on the section?  I am thinking I tried to read too quickly or I was just distracted.

Additionally, is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future?  I didn't even finish a question on the last passage.  I am just angry with myself and I would like some guidance.  Thanks in advance.

Was this from the SuperPrep book?

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »
yes.  I just had another malfunction, missing 5 on the RC I just took.  I am going to try writing fewer things in the margin, since that may be a problem.  Maybe I should just write structure things from now on, instead of summarizing what the point of the several lines is.  Do you think this would be a good strategy?  I would like some help.  I feel like the RC might be the thing preventing me from really destroying the LSAT.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 05:49:21 PM »
yes.  I just had another malfunction, missing 5 on the RC I just took.  I am going to try writing fewer things in the margin, since that may be a problem.  Maybe I should just write structure things from now on, instead of summarizing what the point of the several lines is.  Do you think this would be a good strategy?  I would like some help.  I feel like the RC might be the thing preventing me from really destroying the LSAT.

JP, I wish I had an answer for you.  I'd say try anything to see what works...maybe u are focusing so much and over-analyzing the passages.

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 08:41:16 PM »
I think the first one I tried reading too quickly, the second to slowly?  I think I might try to read at the pace of my LR--quickly when I understand the passage and slowly when I don't.  I just want to get the RC down because it is harder on the more recent tests.