Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law of Union University...any thoughts?  (Read 2840 times)

RenaldoBalkman

• View Profile
Re: Albany Law of Union University...any thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 12:41:52 AM »
Further, I love how on LSD people will say "If you have to go to a T4 school its not worth going at all".  Look where she worked before she went to Fox, Jones Day! and she came out of Albany...I bet she does not have any regrets.

I love it how people on LSD will use anecdotal or stupid examples in an attempt to bolster some lower tiered school's job placement. 

I wonder what her class ranking was?  Bottom line is this fella, if you go to a t2, ttt, t4, and don't place in the top 5-10% you ain't sniffing big law or a prestigious federal clerkship.  Is that worth taking on 150,000 in debt, you tell me.

RenaldoBalkman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 12:48:53 AM »
My cousin went there and had some great opportunities upon graduation.  She's currently working as a chief clerk for a judge in NYC (not to be confused with clerking for a judge -- local judges in NYC have chief clerks who essentially act like Chief of Staff for a judge).

Is she working on for a federal judge?  Clerking or chief clerking at the state level isn't nearly as prestigious or as competitive to get. 

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »
My cousin went there and had some great opportunities upon graduation.  She's currently working as a chief clerk for a judge in NYC (not to be confused with clerking for a judge -- local judges in NYC have chief clerks who essentially act like Chief of Staff for a judge).

Is she working on for a federal judge?  Clerking or chief clerking at the state level isn't nearly as prestigious or as competitive to get. 

She's working for a state level judge.  I know it's not as prestigious as a federal position, but she's getting paid 6 figures for it and it's given her a leg-up in her career.  I don't think she was ever interested in getting a position at the federal level.  Her interest has always been in local New York City law and politics.  She was an assistant DA before, and then worked for a private real estate law firm for about a year before assuming her current position.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 07:01:27 PM »

Renaldo Balkman is a jacka$$.

RenaldoBalkman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 07:30:40 PM »

Renaldo Balkman is a jacka$$.

Why?  Don't get mad because I don't go ga-ga over the mediocre job prospects that Albany law school students face. 

How many of them end up with 150,000 dollars of debt?  How many students from Albany end up in biglaw or any job that will allow them to comfortably pay back that debt?

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 07:54:38 PM »
In all seriousness, you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you know people in "biglaw"? Do you know people who have graduated from Albany Law? You seem like a naive pre-law school individual who is very ignorant.

RenaldoBalkman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 08:21:11 PM »
In all seriousness, you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you know people in "biglaw"? Do you know people who have graduated from Albany Law? You seem like a naive pre-law school individual who is very ignorant.

Naive pre-law school individuals are the ones who end up going to Albany Law or some other TTT and think that its worth 150,000 of debt. 

Don't try and attack me personally homie.  I kept my arguments focused around the school.  I have several biglaw offers so don't even try that ad-hominem crap lol.

Where are you working this summer?  If biglaw, what was your class rank?

You can't dispute the fact that Albany law school is expensive as hell and gives you little hope in getting a biglaw job or summer associate position.

Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who told you to put the balm on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »
i visited there and was very impressed with the library classrooms, etc - everything was really nice and seemed to be recently built. it blows hofstra (where i am finishing ug now) out of the water as far as facilities go....it seems like an ok place to go to, would worry about debt though from a place like that and not too good bar passage % etc.....would conisder other T3s though...

onemanshow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »
I wonder if RenaldoBalkman has considered any other reason for attending law school than only making “big money” in “big law.” Personally, I’m not going to law school to inflate my ego with the expectation of only working in whatever "big law" encapsulates. I think people go to law school for their own reasons. There are a lot of other easier ways to make a lot of money in life. The “best” law school does not suit every applicants needs. Also he assumes that no ALS students receive merit-based grants. Just wondering where he got the debt figure of $150,000 that he assumes ALL Albany graduates have.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
I wonder if RenaldoBalkman has considered any other reason for attending law school than only making “big money” in “big law.” Personally, I’m not going to law school to inflate my ego with the expectation of only working in whatever "big law" encapsulates. I think people go to law school for their own reasons. There are a lot of other easier ways to make a lot of money in life. The “best” law school does not suit every applicants needs. Also he assumes that no ALS students receive merit-based grants. Just wondering where he got the debt figure of $150,000 that he assumes ALL Albany graduates have.

When my cousin graduated from ALS she had a debt load, but nowhere near $150,000.  I think it was probably somewhere around 60,000, and that's high-balling it.  She's since paid it off, and she graduated about 5 or 6 years ago, so it wasn't a burdensome debt load (not too burdensome at least, even when she was just an ADA making about 40,000 per year).
Yale.Law.School.2010