Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have good recs...  (Read 1302 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
I have good recs...
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:26:42 PM »
I just realized how funny it is that almost every post on here that starts "my numbers are low, where should I apply?" Also seems to include "but I have good recs".  Well, I'd hope everyone on here has good recs!  I know some had to stretch to find a recommender or two, but still, why even have LOR's if they're not good?  Guess it just seems overkill IMO to say it.

And for the record...I have good recs too! ;D
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

cwalk

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I have good recs...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 03:36:24 PM »
I just finished a post where I wrote almost everything you said people say!  It appears that "good recs" is quite subjective.  I imagine people think others will view them in a better light (suggest better schools) if they add that they have good recs. Dunno though, but good evaluation. 

And yes I do have good recs too!

bandaidstick

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »
people want to believe they have a chance. I say rather than calling them out for maybe wishful thinking, we establish a criterion by which a "good rec" can be distinguished from a "not good rec." I'd be glad to share what I think makes at least one of mine "good."

cwalk

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:26:41 PM »
I agree, but I'm not sure you can set a criteria to determine that.  But go ahead I'm all ears.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 02:19:34 PM »
HELP!!!
i have crappy LORs.
will that affect my chances?

/my recommenders asked me to write up something they could edit, and i didn't want to come across as cocky, so i talked a little smack about myself

//i should create a separate account just so i can post that thread

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 02:24:20 PM »
I just realized how funny it is that almost every post on here that starts "my numbers are low, where should I apply?" Also seems to include "but I have good recs".  Well, I'd hope everyone on here has good recs!  I know some had to stretch to find a recommender or two, but still, why even have LOR's if they're not good?  Guess it just seems overkill IMO to say it.

I also like when people say they have a "kick-ass personal statment."

I'll bet they don't. Just sayin'....

i'm hoping they have lowered expectations for an engineering PS

/just sayin'

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 02:27:24 PM »

/just sayin'

Im with stupid^

maccha

• GIVE ME A COOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:48:53 PM »
People shouldn't be so sure that they have good LORs. You need to be very careful who you ask/trust, since some people can be pretty back-stabbey.

Last year, I was applying for a job, and had two people write LORs for me... an internship supervisor who absolutely adored me, and my thesis advisor. Both of them were all smiles, and told me they'd give me the best letter possible. And then, I got to the interview, and... got asked some very personal (and quite negative) questions, because of something "your... professor?" said in the LOR. The recommender had, instead of writing about me, wrote about my relationship with my family.

At first, I was paranoid that my super had done it, since he was a confidant for awhile. But then, later on, when I finished my senior thesis... I realized what happened. My advisor, all along, had been telling me good job, have fun, it's your project, wow nice find, this is excellent, etc... suddenly turned on me and said she was "greatly disturbed" by my final piece, even though the previous draft was the best thing since sliced bread (she even went as far to tell me some of my sources were crap, even though those were the sources she had personally recommended to me).

It turns out, she was only doing this as a power trip, that was the same reason she agreed to do my LOR. When I started asking around the dept about her, it turned out she was "volatile," into power trips, and would mess with grad students the same way. (My super, on the other hand, "couldn't hurt a fly.")

The lesson: Be careful who you take your LORs from. Don't desperately hunt for a prof to write one, and be willing to take one from someone less well known if you know they'll say better things about you. And don't be 100% sure that you'll have a good letter. Just don't.

That being said, I'm 75% sure that my LORs for law school are awesome. I was more careful this time, and I picked people I really trust.
;D : American, Wisconsin
:-\ :
:'( :

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 02:52:49 PM »

/just sayin'

Im with stupid^

i don't get it
/wait, what?

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 02:54:56 PM »

/just sayin'

Im with stupid^

i don't get it
/wait, what?

<-- en-jin-ur