Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Washington  (Read 8568 times)

maccha

• GIVE ME A COOKIE
    • View Profile
University of Washington
« on: October 26, 2006, 01:46:36 PM »
This school intrigues me, because of the lack of chatter about it.

What sort of job prospects does it have? Are you limited to just the northwest? West coast? Or are you able to get jobs elsewhere?
;D : American, Wisconsin
:-\ :
:'( :

waiting to be converted

• View Profile
Re: University of Washington
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:00:43 PM »
Sadly, the West Coast gets little love on this board.  Probably because there's only a couple in the T14 out here.

You could do some searching on this board and find related information on UW and job prospects, but I'll add some quick thoughts.  I live in Seattle and have a decent sense of the law scene out here and UW generally. 

UW is respected up and down the West Coast, but it is only well respected in the Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, ID, MT).  People on the east coast are often surprised to hear that UW is ranked so high, because they haven't heard much about it.  I'm not positive, but my sense is the only recruiting done at UW is for Seattle area firms.  There certainly is not the national recruitment that the T14's have.  But, there are always stories of people picking up and moving with their T50 degree and finding an opening in a completely different legal market.  Unless you have a connection or have already started working into that market through summer work though, that will surely imply a lengthy job search (read unemployment). 

Long of the short of it is it's the best of the pacific northwest and incredibly cheap.  if you want to live in that region you can't do wrong with UW.  If you want a different region, it's a dicey choice to pick UW and I wouldn't recommend it unless your other options pale in comparison. 

maccha

• GIVE ME A COOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 02:26:25 PM »
Thanks.  :) I did do a search, and most of the stuff I found was about the campus, faculty, and student body... not much about jobs.

And yeah, the relative cheapness is what made me perk up. Even for out of staters, it's not too bad.

Just trying to see how it does compared to other West coast publics (well, other than Boalt and UCLA, I guess) in terms of jobs, and ability to move outside of the West coast.
;D : American, Wisconsin
:-\ :
:'( :

jeff2486

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 02:30:18 PM »
If you do a search on NALPdirectory.com you will see that many firms on the west coast recruit at the Top 15 and U of Washington.  It seems like it has pretty good career prospects on the entire coast.

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »
I'd happily go there but they either don't send waivers or didn't give me one.  I'm too broke to worry about it much at this point, but they seem to be pretty strong in the Pacific Northwest and if you would like to practice in Oregon or Washington, you can hardly go wrong. 

jeff2486

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 07:32:01 PM »
Anyone have any idea what kind of ratio UW gets for in-state vs. out-of-state applications. I am out of state 1 point above their LSAT median and I have a 4.0 GPA.  I figure I would be a nearly a lock if I was in-state however anyone have any insight as to what chances I have?  I wish there was some way to know what their numbers are for the out-of-state accepted applicants.

peabody

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 01:07:29 PM »
honestly, i think the whole in-state preference is way overblown for washington.  it's a different story when you get to accepting people off the waitlist (pretty much all in-staters).  But, for regular admission cycle, they're more interested in the straight up numbers. 

just looking at lsn, my sense is that a school like UT is much more serious about their in-state requirement than UW.  UT seems to admit people with much lower indexes that are from texas, but UW doesn't seem to do this until the waitlist period.

4.0 with a 163 will be a very strong app. for UW, but certainly not a lock (even if you were in-state).  in my mind, a lock is if both of your stats are at or above 75 percentile. 

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 01:47:38 PM »
I think the reason that most of their students are from Washington is because nobody really looks to go there from other states. Being close (from Oregon), I know all about UW and nearly went there for UG, but that doesn't really make it hugely popular outside of the Pacific NW. Plus, it seems like a lot of the people who apply there, at least on LSN, don't get much scholarship $, and that'll be a big factor for me - why pay more to go there when I can go to a bigger/better law school and actually save money?
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN

jeff2486

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »
Tuition is so cheap though! Compare out of state there to a place like BU, BC, or GW and it is a huge difference even with scholarships.

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »
St. Louis sucks. Look elsewhere.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)