Law School Discussion

UConn 1L Taking Questions since HW is boring...

Re: UConn 1L Taking Questions since HW is boring...
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 01:57:42 AM »
Hey I had a question too.  I'm looking to apply to UConn, but I have no intention of staying in CT after law school.  I would like to either be in Northern Virginia, or any major city on the east coast (Philly, DC, Boston, NYC, etc).  I know UConn is a regional school, but if I am near the top of the class do I have a decent shot of placing into one of those cities?

Also another question I have is, do you know how much real world experience you receive at Uconn compared to other schools? For example, let's say you had the option out of law school to start your own small business.  Would you have the knowledge to handle all the legal issues that come with the terrority (contracts, etc.) or would you need to work in a firm for a few years to get that kind of experience. 

Thanks a lot for answering questions. 

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 08:04:45 AM »
Tuttipoopoo

Each year the top 1-3 people leave UConn for places like Harvard and Yale. That's a fact. I knew someone who was ranked 13 and went to UMich this past year. So yes, you can always transfer...but to your real question, most grads stay in state. I think on our https://www.law.uconn.edu/careers/graduates/statistics.htm website some info might help. Overall, if you really want to sneak into the e. coast uconn is a great school, but expect to be in CT for a while afterwards, unless you either a) get out via a 1l summer job and keep on that track all 3 yrs, or you shoot to top of class and law review it and get into the nyc/dc/boston circuit. So yes, top of class makes EVERYTHING in law school easier, but dont count on it. Best to go to a school and assume you do 'average' and see what options are available. Otherwise the risk is great.

Real world experience at UConn? Tons. We've got amazing clinics, a brand new one is up and running just this yr where we're teamed up with bschool and work to help technology startup companies in CT, and people are always doing externships, internships, and lots of volunteering. Because CT is so small, tons of judges, lawyers, and state govt. officials went to uconn. So you've got a great network to tap into - Very hard to avoid doing some real world stuff at uconn..NOw, starting your own business out of law school in terms of? a law firm? Law schools are not quite that practical, hence the clinics. Law firms is where the real legal training occurs, and thats basically true anywhere....

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 08:11:52 AM »
NOw, starting your own business out of law school in terms of? a law firm? Law schools are not quite that practical, hence the clinics. Law firms is where the real legal training occurs, and thats basically true anywhere....

thanks a lot for answering so quickly.

i should have clarified in my post, but i didn't mean starting a law firm.  i meant for example starting a real estate firm.  would one be able to handle real estate contracts (after getting your real estate license of course) just from simple law school experience?

i know these are very hypothetical situations, but I'm just curious to see what I could do with a law degree from UConn.  Thanks again

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 09:28:33 PM »
[chonralda], how interesting that I'm looking at the schools you looked at. Do you have any suggestions for me for applying to UConn? I am planning on applying this week. I am also going to apply to the full and part-time program at UConn. Thanks!

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 10:45:15 AM »
RoyalDutch,

Shoot for both, but depending on your numbers you might be save for just one. If you've been there before, I'd pound in my essay how much you really loved the vibrant campus and the wealth of opportunities to be involved and do things. While my essay focused on 'international law' bla bla bla, really, once you're here, you have zero time for things like that until 2l. If you can point out 1L things you're excited about, such as profs, student groups, upcoming campus events etc, that's a nice plus I would imagine. I dont know too much about admissions, unfortunately, even though I did get in....

Rooster

• This dog has a tough life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 10:10:26 AM »
Do you need to be near the top of the class with law review to get a job in Boston?

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 12:44:55 PM »
Rooster,

Yes, but remember that this  applies to most schools under the top 14 IF you want a top law firm in boston. People at UConn DO get these jobs, and its not even the 'top' people here, some of whom a) stay in hartford because they land really nice paying jobs or b) they go to harvad/yale after 1/2L and then get into those markets by default.

One thing to bear in mind, its perceived as 'tough' to get into into NY or Boston market because the firms you look at when leaving your local law school's market are the cream of the crop...No one would go to NYC to work at a 5 person firm, would they? I mean, unless you really really want to be in NYC or like small firms or something....so just keep in mind that it is always possible to change legal markets, its just that a)unless you're from there/have a connection there you're intruding onto local law school's territory, unless b) you're HYS in which case life's just peachy no matter what.

SO, in short, I do know people here with jobs in NYC or Boston post graduation as 3Ls and 2Ls who have done great here (top 20 people in class or 10 percent), who had great grades, interviews etc etc..oh yes, some were law review, but i wouldnt say a majority were....so its really on your shoulders to do well if you're not in the HYS arena.

Rooster

• This dog has a tough life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 02:21:06 PM »
Rooster,

Yes, but remember that this  applies to most schools under the top 14 IF you want a top law firm in boston. People at UConn DO get these jobs, and its not even the 'top' people here, some of whom a) stay in hartford because they land really nice paying jobs or b) they go to harvad/yale after 1/2L and then get into those markets by default.

One thing to bear in mind, its perceived as 'tough' to get into into NY or Boston market because the firms you look at when leaving your local law school's market are the cream of the crop...No one would go to NYC to work at a 5 person firm, would they? I mean, unless you really really want to be in NYC or like small firms or something....so just keep in mind that it is always possible to change legal markets, its just that a)unless you're from there/have a connection there you're intruding onto local law school's territory, unless b) you're HYS in which case life's just peachy no matter what.

SO, in short, I do know people here with jobs in NYC or Boston post graduation as 3Ls and 2Ls who have done great here (top 20 people in class or 10 percent), who had great grades, interviews etc etc..oh yes, some were law review, but i wouldnt say a majority were....so its really on your shoulders to do well if you're not in the HYS arena.

What are the salaries like in Hartford?  Average, high, low...anything you know

Also I'd like to go up to UConn some time to visit...would going around with a 1L be better than a generic admissions office tour?  Would you be willing to show me around some time?

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 11:40:59 AM »
Rooster,

Well, I know that at the few biglaw firms in CT, of which one just doubled in size due to a merger and now has office up and down e. coast, is in the 120-150k range. Don't expect anything higher than that - thats tops in CT. Realistically, though, salaries at UConn vary quite a bit, since we have a huge PI group here....and its Hartford too, not NYC. mmmm I thought I had a link somewhere with last yrs breakdown of salaries by sector...Basically, it runs the gamet from thr 30k range all the way up: averages I cant estimate right now, though I think its in our 'viewbook'....

I'd be happy to show ya around...its finals right now, but I still could use a break here and there...PM me if interested.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 04:53:58 PM »
ok...so i got into their full-time program and WL for the day division. 

any further thoughts on the evening division ppl?  would you reccomend it? also are most ppl in it older b/c i am right out of undergrad