Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rejection  (Read 6774 times)

li81

• View Profile
    • Email
Rejection
« on: February 18, 2004, 01:24:30 AM »
I keep repeating to myself that Ab Lincoln got rejected from law school, too. Unfortunately, that only makes me feel better for a moment.

I really am surprised that I cannot get into a decent law school. Getting waitlisted at Hofstra has been a real wake up call. The only thing schools seem to care about is a person's LSAT score. How can four years of achievement be so blatently disregarged?

Is it really worth 100,000 dollars worth of debt to go to a third or forth tier school? Could I find a good job? Would I have to sell my soul to pay back those loans?

And of course my credentials: LSAT 153, GPA 3.7, great internships, lots of activities, honor societies, 1 year study abroad, 1 year in Japan (JET)

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rejection
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 11:00:13 AM »
Maybe there was something besides the LSAT in your file that they didn't like.  If you really want to practice law I'd recommend retaking the LSAT and reapplying next year.  Also, if you went to a mediocre-to-poor undergraduate institution, your gpa might look more like a 3.1 to the admissions committee.

Good luck.  I'm sending positive energy your way as I type this.  I hope it helps.

joegibbsiii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 11:07:07 AM »
I think you ask a good question re: racking up tons of debt for a school you don't love. 

You sound like a great student.  Are you normally a weak test taker?  Or did you just have a bad day?  Did you take a course?  Because, if you wait a year, retake the LSAT and can improve greatly, you may find it worth your time to do so. 

Personally, I didn't take a course, but I used the books and studied hard.  It improved my score by 12 points or so.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 12:48:29 PM »
The past couple of years, they have paid a lot of attention to LSAT scores.  You have to keep in mind that applications have increased by over 25% the past few years.  Most of us are the offspring of baby boomers, and are one of the largest populations to be finishing our undergrad degrees since our parents.  This, plus the bad economy has increased applications after they were way down during the 1990's. 

Thus, law schools can be very picky.  Not only in who they accept, but how many they accept.  For example, in 1999 Hofstra might have had to initiallly accept 1,000 applicants to yield 250.  Now perhaps, they need only accept 500 applicants with higher GPA's and LSAT scores than they ever did before to yield the same number. 

I am not trying to discourage you, but the fact is, it is a tough year to apply to law school.  Further, evidence suggests that it won't slow down until 2005-2006.  Does that mean you should sit out a year.  Not really.  Statistics show that this does not increase the likelihood of being admitted, unless you get some significant experience in the legal field. 

Yeah, it is crazy that they put so much emphasis on the LSAT, but from their perspective, applicants tend to look the same.  I was reading where an admissions officer at a top school said that last year there were 3,000 applicants with a score between 164-168.  Thus, four points can make a huge difference.

So, I would suggest either retaking the LSAT, or getting into a 3 tier school, and finishing 1L at the top of your class, then you can transfer into a tier 1. 

abmarz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 01:45:43 PM »
Don't get discouraged with Hofstra. I was wait listed there last month and I got a call from the dean the other day saying that not only am I accepted off the list, but I am also a finalist for the child advocacy fellowship. If you want to get off the wait list, be proactive about it. Send in new recs, letters, etc. They DO take people off the wait lists. I am living proof. 

I know how disheartening all of this is. I am getting rejected from a lot of schools too. I have a 3.5 from BU and a 154 average LSAT (151, 157).

I don't recommend waiting and taking it again. You have already invested time and money into the admissions process and it looks like you have already taken time off after school (Japan).

Good luck.

Ithacabomber

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 02:54:31 PM »
 I agree with the board this year is soo hard...and therefore the LSAT is hard...the LSAC must make the test harder when law schools are screaming at them about applicant numbers, and if they dont make the test harder that they will reconsider using the LSAT. I looked at the indices of the test that I took in Oct vs the indices of past test...this year way harder. I am not a good test taker (141) but have a stellar GPA 3.4 at Ithaca College (whatever rank they are) I have great work experience HOUSE OF COMMONS and LEGAL AID OFFICE. Will this offset my LSAT...hope so. Keep heads up!

li81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 11:34:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am sorry but I definitely don’t want to take the LSAT again. What misery! I would definitely just rather accept my status as an “official reject” and move on with my life. Perhaps this is a good thing? Bye-bye rat race, hello...

tuffguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 11:50:52 PM »
I am not trying to discourage you, but the fact is, it is a tough year to apply to law school.  Further, evidence suggests that it won't slow down until 2005-2006.  Does that mean you should sit out a year.  Not really.  Statistics show that this does not increase the likelihood of being admitted, unless you get some significant experience in the legal field. 

Not that I doubt you, but I've looked for information regarding all this (how many students are applying to law school this year, estimated for next year, etc. and I can't really find anything.  Can you please direct me to some sources that you might have found this information in?

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 02:16:48 AM »
Tuffguy,

Try this web site.

http://www.deloggio.com/homepage/faq/admproc/trends.htm

Hope this helps... :)

x77

• View Profile
    • Email