Law School Discussion

Take a look at my list...do I need more safeties?

Quail!

• View Profile
Re: Take a look at my list...do I need more safeties?
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »
See this chart, look at the box corresponding to your numbers:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD+Admissions/profile.htm

If your pre-law advisor made GW out to be a reach...well the he/she has no clue what he/she is talking about (as is the case with most pre-law advisors)

dennycrane

• My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 02:49:18 PM »
penn, gtown, duke, cornell = reaches. everything else is prob not a reach. I had a 165 and got into GW (but i am an urm and engineer).

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 02:57:15 PM »
Click that link, folks! My pre-law advisor left me thinking that my chances are pretty dismal, calling GW "more of a reach school" and saying that she "sees" about four acceptances from my list.  Basically, she told me that I should get used to life at W&M or American, which I could definitely do, but I'd really like to feel secure about BC, GW, or BU!

Any input would be fantastic...thanks!

BC, BU, and W&M are all big yield protectors. I've known people who got big scholarships at either BU/BC and were either rejected/waitlisted at the other. You should get into at least one, though. I got into GW with a 3.5/165, and was WLed at W&M. I think there are quite a few people at my school who were waitlisted at W&M, even though many people with our stats were given fellowships.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 05:39:39 PM »
BC, BU, and W&M are all big yield protectors. I've known people who got big scholarships at either BU/BC and were either rejected/waitlisted at the other. You should get into at least one, though. I got into GW with a 3.5/165, and was WLed at W&M. I think there are quite a few people at my school who were waitlisted at W&M, even though many people with our stats were given fellowships.

What's the deal with yield protection, anyway?  Isn't it when a school rejects an applicant because their numbers are too high and they figure that the person just applied as a safety?

Hopefully that won't happen to me, because schools like BC, BU, GW, etc are pretty much the best that I can get into by the numbers! Lord knows the adcomm won't look at my numbers and assume that I'll get into Harvard or anything. I guess if I don't get in, that would certainly be a nice way to console myself..."but they CLEARLY must have thought I was too good for them, so that's why the rejected me" hahaha

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 06:02:33 PM »

What's the deal with yield protection, anyway?  Isn't it when a school rejects an applicant because their numbers are too high and they figure that the person just applied as a safety?

Hopefully that won't happen to me, because schools like BC, BU, GW, etc are pretty much the best that I can get into by the numbers! Lord knows the adcomm won't look at my numbers and assume that I'll get into Harvard or anything. I guess if I don't get in, that would certainly be a nice way to console myself..."but they CLEARLY must have thought I was too good for them, so that's why the rejected me" hahaha

It depends on the situation. BC and BU are similarly ranked, but if one thinks you have a compelling reason to go to the other (e.g. you went to it for undergrad, are Catholic, etc.), it may reject/WL you. With W&M, I think it is a combination of yield protection and a limited number of out-of-state slots. If you're out of state, seem like a candidate who might get into GW or GULC, and fail to write the Why W&M essay, you may be waitlisted.