Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it really that hard to get into a lower crust T14 school?  (Read 3727 times)

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is it really that hard to get into a lower crust T14 school?
« on: October 25, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »
Ive been looking at the numbers at Duke/UVA/Cornell/Michigan/Georgetown, and it doesn't seem "that" hard.  For example, I have a 3.58 GPA, and most of these schools' medians are .05-.1 points ahead of mine, for example Michigan's is like 3.66 which is pretty damn close to what I have. Their LSAT's all seem to be high 160's, which I think is very realistic for me to score near or over when I take the Dec LSAT.

So basically, is it just me or do these elite schools not seem that hard to get into? With college, unless you have near perfect or perfect scores you have no shot at elite schools, yet for law school these numbers are far from near perfect, a 3.6 really isn't that high at all, yet the lower ranked top 14's all seem to be in this range. So what is everyone's input on this?

(UPenn and up seem to push the limits a lot higher, but the lower schools really don't seem all that bad, UPenn seems like the division of the "next level" of T14's though)

Yoda, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bringing Sweet Forcelike Justice Beginning '09
    • View Profile
Re: Is it really that hard to get into a lower crust T14 school?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »
Come back with your high 160's score and we'll chat.
Have you ever considered the practical benefits of force lightning at a barbecue?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 04:00:06 PM »
Get that lsat score, and you should be fine. Of course it's harder than it seems since a lot of things can go wrong on your test day.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 04:03:06 PM »
Come back with your high 160's score and we'll chat.

well confidence is the key (which i had none of for sept), since i stopped taking practice tests like 4 months before the actual test. Well I randomly took a practice test last week and got a 165 on it, and today reviewed the ones i got wrong and besides maybe 1 of them, I instantly saw what I did wrong on each one. So I honestly think it is feasible at this point for me. Ive done tons of studying, took Powerscore, I just need to take practice tests now to give myself mental stamina and more familiarty. Ive take 7 practice tests so far, and I plan to take at the LEAST 6 more prior to the test, although it will probably be closer to 10 more.  So honestly, I think I can do it, plus it can't hurt shooting for the stars.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 04:04:30 PM »
Get that lsat score, and you should be fine. Of course it's harder than it seems since a lot of things can go wrong on your test day.
I actually sat the sept lsat, but canceled because I didn't study enough. Its kind of like trying to run a marathon but not doing practice runs at all in the months before it. I am confident that the only reason I didn't feel comfortable on that test was because I had no recent practice tests under my belt, and I went in knowing I shouldn't have done that.

Yoda, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 04:08:09 PM »
It never hurts to shoot for the stars, and it helps to test in a consistent range. My point wasn't that you couldn't do it - my point was that there's a big difference between planning where you're going to attend with a 168 and actually getting the 168. Many people see a drop in their score on test day, the pressue will be more intense than in practice, the setting and layout will be unusual to you, and timing will be more strictly enforced. Plus, you can never account for things like 'that guy with the sniffles' who just wasn't around when you were practicing.

Only 10% of test takers score over a 163 (depending on the scale) on actual test day. Just be aware of the difference between what you score on test day, and what score you think you deserve - sometimes it can be a large rift.

So once you actually get your 167+ score, then come back and debate how easy it is to get into the schools. That's my only point.
Have you ever considered the practical benefits of force lightning at a barbecue?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 04:10:40 PM »
My favorite test taker in the room this past June was this very yummy looking blond surfer boy who kept sighing loudly like the fate of the world was in his pencil. At first it threw me off, and then I decided to take it as a smug indicator that he was bombing the test and setting the curve... is that bad?
Vanderbilt 2010

Yoda, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
My favorite test taker in the room this past June was this very yummy looking blond surfer boy who kept sighing loudly like the fate of the world was in his pencil. At first it threw me off, and then I decided to take it as a smug indicator that he was bombing the test and setting the curve... is that bad?

I had a guy who reeked of spoiled fruit.

It is drastically more distracting than you might imagine.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 04:16:56 PM »
It never hurts to shoot for the stars, and it helps to test in a consistent range. My point wasn't that you couldn't do it - my point was that there's a big difference between planning where you're going to attend with a 168 and actually getting the 168. Many people see a drop in their score on test day, the pressue will be more intense than in practice, the setting and layout will be unusual to you, and timing will be more strictly enforced. Plus, you can never account for things like 'that guy with the sniffles' who just wasn't around when you were practicing.

Only 10% of test takers score over a 163 (depending on the scale) on actual test day. Just be aware of the difference between what you score on test day, and what score you think you deserve - sometimes it can be a large rift.

So once you actually get your 167+ score, then come back and debate how easy it is to get into the schools. That's my only point.

I understand your point, and im not at all trying to sound smug. I was just curious why in theory it seems that getting into a top law school seems more feasible than getting into a top college? For example, my younger brother had a 3.8 from high school, and a 1300 esque SAT score. Yet he barely got into state schools like Penn State. Places like maybe Johns Hopkins/Georgetown were out of the question for him even though he had seemingly good scores. He basically was stuck at applying to good state schools like Rutgers and Penn State, since the people applying to the top colleges had 4.0s and up (weighted) and 1500+ SAT scores.

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »
You're overlooking one key factor in your assesment of the ease with which one gains acceptance to these lower tier kingdoms:

UPPER 160's IS NOT EASY

That's what makes it hard to get in. Not the pathetically low 3.7 GPA. It's the 169 LSAT.

I feel.
Hofstra '10