Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Rankings are out, Congrats to Cooley!  (Read 2551 times)

guyminuslife

Re: New Rankings are out, Congrats to Cooley!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:01:49 PM »
I think the ranking system alone should cost them accreditation. If any Cooley students actually become judges, what does that teach them about things like, um, conflicts of interest?

strivergirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 03:04:43 PM »
yale totally sux doods!!!

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:13:31 PM »
I think the ranking system alone should cost them accreditation. If any Cooley students actually become judges, what does that teach them about things like, um, conflicts of interest?

Have we learned nothing from Fox News? When you don't like the reality; deny, deny, deny.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 03:16:15 PM »

Have we learned nothing from Fox News? When you don't like the reality; deny, deny, deny.

Whatever, dont hate... they report, you decide.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 03:19:57 PM »

Whatever, dont hate... they report, you decide.

Exactly. They put a "D" next to Mark Foley's name, you decide if your eyes are playing tricks on you.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 03:21:25 PM »
Isn't Murdoch the perfect name for a leader of the new Zombie army?

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 03:31:56 PM »
It appears that Cooley is increasing selectivity, so they will likely rise again next year.

Cooley Admission Formula
UGPA x 15 + Highest LSAT score = Admission Index

For classes in the 2006-07 academic year (September 2006, January 2007, and May 2007) the minimum index is 185, with a minimum LSAT score of 142 required for regular admission.

For classes in the 2007-08 academic year (September 2007, January 2008, and May 2008) the minimum index is 186, with a minimum LSAT score of 143 required for regular admission.

http://www.cooley.edu/admissions/admformula.htm

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 03:34:30 PM »
I think alternative ranking systems do at least point out that there is no such thing as objective rankings

True, but Cooley's rating system is not just that. It can probably be demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that it was built to be deceptive. If I recall, they put forth the idea that all factors should count equally i.e. that your rank in size should count as much as your rank in LSAT. That is already somewhat ridiculous, but the fact that they then go on to count total square footage of the school, total library square footage and total non-library square footage as three different factors crosses over unto the dishonest side.

In other words, it's not just accidental cluelessness, it's purposeful and well-planned deception.
Penn (2007)

Yoda, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bringing Sweet Forcelike Justice Beginning '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 03:35:11 PM »
It appears that Cooley is increasing selectivity, so they will likely rise again next year.

Cooley Admission Formula
UGPA x 15 + Highest LSAT score = Admission Index

For classes in the 2006-07 academic year (September 2006, January 2007, and May 2007) the minimum index is 185, with a minimum LSAT score of 142 required for regular admission.

For classes in the 2007-08 academic year (September 2007, January 2008, and May 2008) the minimum index is 186, with a minimum LSAT score of 143 required for regular admission.

http://www.cooley.edu/admissions/admformula.htm

Wow, with all the crud I hear about Cooley, I'm shocked to hear they actually have a minimum LSAT score for admission. Not that 143 is exactly scraping the cream from the top - but still, I'm surprised.
Have you ever considered the practical benefits of force lightning at a barbecue?

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 03:35:42 PM »
And if you really want alternative, wasn't there a ranking system that - tongue-in-cheek - gave you lots of extrapoints for having a tibetan restaurant within 0.5 mile of the law school?
Penn (2007)